The 2012 London Olympics 50 Pence Collection.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by eddyk, Oct 23, 2010.

1. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

Ordered the Cycling 50 Pence in 925. Silver for £10 as it was part of a deal.

It was obvious the royal mint were also going to send me another 50 pence piece at the same time for the full £35. I had intended to return it and just keep the bargain 50 pence, however the just so happened to send me my favourite of all the 50 pence designs.... the Basketball one.

So I might keep it for £45 for the 2. £22.50 each is still a bargain.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. happybloke

happybloke New Member

whsmiths in westfield stratford are selling the mint card packs in their store and they were buy 2 get 1 free when i purchased on friday...

4. Garfiun

Garfiun New Member

Im going to make a start collecting these both circulated and un circulated. I love the designs.

5. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

Those are really cool looking, I'm gonna have to pick me up a set

6. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

These 50ps actually have surprisingly low mintages.... around 1,000,000 each.

In the case of the cycling one, only 40,000 will be minted!

In fact, since they were all released into circulation, I have only ever seen about 5 Olympic 50ps in my change.

[​IMG]

7. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

bored bored bored... I like editing coins pics when I have nothing to do so they really 'pop'.

[​IMG]

And just for the heck of it... Home made coloured.

[​IMG]

8. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

there has been reports of an error on the swimming coin, whereby the lines of the water carry on across the swimmers face...................

9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

How many coins are in this series? I was trying to get as complete of a British coin collection as possible, and big series of commemorative coins are not conducive to that. Mexico did the same thing when they decided to make about 50 different 5 pesos coins in the last few years.

10. izotz

izotz Euro Coins Fan

11. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

this is the first time that the uk has had a themed series of coins. we issue commemorative £2 and 50 pence coins every year but they are usually for one off anniveraries.

12. Hiddendragon

I don't see me going after those anytime soon. Considering they pretty much have to be purchased from overseas, that makes the cost prohibitive. I did order the equestrian one though so I have an example of the series.

13. Hiddendragon

Also, it's interesting looking at the mintages on that Wikipedia page. It is obvious why I see so many 1997 50 pences. There are about as many of those as the rest of the series combined.

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

2012 is over, and the The Royal Mint now sells the London Olympics 50p coin set at a better price. :) £44.75 for all 29 coins, plus a medallion and an album: http://www.royalmint.com/shop/c/cfc50w

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted