The 1995-W Silver Eagle Thread.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BNB Analytics, Oct 4, 2009.

1. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

There are no guarantees. A coin that has dropped from $5K to $3K? I just have a feeling that it's not going to stop there. I'm not spending more than $1000-$1500 of my hard earned cash for one. I have patience. All of these posts are simply my opinions based on the facts of recent history. There are no shortages of this coin for sale and I know of no one that has $3K to drop on it or any other coin. I live in the very conservative midwest and we customers are the ones who'll drive the pricing...be it up or down. Dealers don't set the pricing. Buyers with cash do.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Its a Roth IRA coin imo

5. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Mine was a 68, because it came back with a scratch. Couldn't stand the scratch, so I sold it.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Could be part of it. This is one of the few coins where I actually do think there are more collectors than coins exist. Granted a lot of ASEs are sold to bullion collectors but I would bet there are more than 30k people who are doing an ASE date set. How many of them could afford this one or deem it necessary I am not entirely sure but unlike S VDBs I do believe demand is close to the mintage for the most part

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Not just ASE collectors are targeting this coin. There are collectors that want all key date coins in many sets, and even casual collectors have this coin on their radar. It's all supply and demand.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Rough figures. Less than a third of these have been graded. That leaves about 20,000. I feel the price will keep going down.
    About 3 years ago a PCGS 70 sold for $86,000. That seems crazy.

9. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

This is an extremely overrated coin. 30125 were made, and almost all have survived. How this can sell for thousands is beyond me. It's the 1909-S VDB of modern coins.

mark_h likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I bought the set at issue - $999. I sold off all the gold for the then roughly market price of $720, for ALL FOUR GOLD PIECES! So I had $279 in the ASE. I sold it in 2005 for $4000. I'm happy, generally speaking. Been there, had that. I'll wait to find a sleeper. At one local show, a dealer had TWO of them in with his generic 1995 proof ASE's in just capsules. I wish I could say I discovered the W's in there, but a friend did. Cha-ching!

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I now fully hate you Kurt :p

Did you try for a 70 first?

12. V. Kurt Bellman

Nope. A mouse once had gas near it, so I knew a PR69UC was all that was in it. :eek::D

13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Darn mouse farts!

14. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

I sold my Proof 68 a few months back for 3k on the dot. Was a weird coin as it was just a proof 68 with no Cameo designations.
    [​IMG]

15. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

I sold my Proof 68 a few months back for 3k on the dot. Was a weird coin as it was just a proof 68 with no Cameo designations.
    [​IMG]

16. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

I agree. It is one of the most overrated coins on the planet. It's from an extremely popular series (top three along with Lincolns and Morgans) but its price is disproportionate to its mintage and availability, even compared to other ASE.

I also believe there are more than 30,000 ASE set collectors. My assumption is as many as several hundred thousand considering that the non-W proof dates have mintages of over half a million in some instances. However, I don't believe more than a small fraction have the financial capacity to concurrently buy it and are willing to pay the current price. My assumption is that the balance of the supply is owned by those who bought it at issuance and probably many speculators (aka, "investors") as a bullion substitute.

17. V. Kurt Bellman

Another case of someone (or an entire company) asleep at the switch yet again. It's obviously a DC/UC. All of them are. Yeah, that PCGS, they sure are the industry leader. :rolleyes: (Hint: their alleged superiority is a myth perpetuated by the dealers they fawn over, and collectors believe what they're told rather than their own lying eyes. I was born on a Friday, but it wasn't LAST Friday.)

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Does anyone else find it funny that both Morgan's and ASE's have a '95 proof coin 100yrs apart that is the key to the proofs and arguably both series that most collectors don't recognize as part of a complete set. Sure they're proofs and there was no 95 bs Morgan etc. And Morgan proof collecting is different to bs collecting while most ase collectors do both but I just find the mild coincidence funny

Santinidollar and NSP like this.
  19. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

I find that both are over rated. The 1895 proof Morgan isn't really any scarcer than other proofs to my knowledge.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

History doesn't quite repeat, but it does rhyme. Hey, has Daniel Carr ever issued a proof 2009 "ASE" to keep the set uninterrupted? [/ he sits back smugly waiting for the anti-Daniel Carr vitriol to start flying] You should see my collections of spoons I use to stir pots. :bag:

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yes Dan did indeed make a 2009 proof ase but put his DC Mark on it to go the extra mile. However he hasn't, and will not, do a 95 business strike Morgan as in his estimation it would be too easy to alter it and sell it as a genuine impaired proof for 5-figures. While if someone where to do that, in reverse, with his 2009 ase proof all they would be doing is turning it back into what it was originally. A standard bullion eagle

Draft saved Draft deleted