The 1995-W Silver Eagle Thread.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BNB Analytics, Oct 4, 2009.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The guy that bought the 5pc set has 0 feedback.
    These have really come down in price.
    I'm thinking they got as high as 7 or 8K.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

They did. The ASE alone was up to $5k at one time.

4. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

Personally I think the price is too high for the mintage, the price have been coming down slowly over the years. I think Elaine might have been hoarding a few of them.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Lots of collectors got really ticked at the Mint over the 95W. They had to fork out a $1000 bucks to keep the set complete. The regular proof was going for $23 that year. Some just sold the gold off and kept the Silver Eagle. I'm thinking the gold would bring about $800 or $900 at the time. At that point they only had $100 or $200 in the coin. Those that bought from the mint can't complain a bit.

Long term, I feel the value of these without spots is going to go way up.
    It's going to be fun to watch.

6. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

What grey sheet are the 1995-w silver eagle prices in? Can't seem to find it. Looking at my pdf now..

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Raw. ;)

8. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

If you want to 'invest' that kind of money in a coin, it would probably be better to buy one whose price is trending upwards over the last few years, instead of the '95-W which is trending downwards and still has quite a lot of downside potential.

9. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

10. Mr. Stu Pidski

Mr. Stu Pidski Junior Member

Did you say you were going to glue all of them to a board< I think it would look very pretty if you painted them each a different color. The best paint would be epoxy paint. That paint will stick to anything. Good luck with your collage.

11. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

I asked that seller what brought the grade down to a 68 because most of them are graded higher. He said he didn't know, but had seen 2 PR 65s listed for sale.

12. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

I'm dieing to know that if this gets sold for $1995 or whatever, will this be an unbelievable steal for a PR68?

13. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

The 68 in the auction is likely a 68 because it's quite hazy looking, especially on the reverse. 67 and 68 examples seem cheap because they are worth less. I'd pass on a 68 and stick with the 69DCAMs. Have someone get you a copy of the pop reports for this coin so you know how many of each grade have been graded, that'll tell you how common a 69 is vs. the other less desirable grades. If no one else does, I can get you the pop report this evening after work.

14. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Search Heritage/Teletrade auctions and see if it's a steal or not... not sure what a 68 would really go for or if $2000 is a fair price.

15. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Thanks Mike.
    I'm having a hard time tracking down the real worth of a 68 vs a 69 dcam..

16. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

It's in a 68 holder for a reason. Regardless of what that reason is, I wouldn't buy it expecting it to upgrade to a 69.

17. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

I wouldn't buy it for that reason either.

But come on, you can't tell me $2000 for a 68 DCAM isn't a steal..

18. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

The PCGS Guide currently lists a 68 as being worth $400 less than a 69. I would guess it's really a bigger difference than that.

19. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

20. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

Like I said earlier, it's a coin that has been trending downward and not upwards. When they get down to $1000, I'll buy yours from you.

21. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Okay, send me your # via pm so I can let you know when that happens. You'll be the first I sell it to for $1000 when the time comes like you say.

By the way, who guaranteed you that it'll hit $1000?

Draft saved Draft deleted