The 1995-W Silver Eagle Thread.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BNB Analytics, Oct 4, 2009.

1. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

A true beauty amongst all coins I personally believe.

I'd like to gather most of your thoughts on it.

What PR state is your favorite for price/value ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

PR69DCAM - The 70's just are worth the cost and the one 68 I saw in person was ugly. Of course I don't own one and probably never will.

4. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

I'm working on assembling a complete proof ASE set. The coins are large, beautiful, silver, and reasonably priced for my budget. I already have the 1993-1997, so that's most of the expense out of the way, except for the 1995-W of course. I only buy the coins in the mint issued plastic capsules. I look strictly for spot-free examples with no haze or toning whatsoever and they must have plenty of unbroken frost on the cameo devices. When the set is complete, I'm going to mount it on a board with a blue velvet background and hang it on the wall. It's gonna look awesome, and with the exception of the '95-W, It should run about $1100-1200. I'm going to have a gorgeous display of coins for less than the cost of some worn keys from other series'. It's fun!

The mint boxes and COAs mean nothing to me and slabs just won't work for my plan.

John McRaney likes this.
  5. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

what is the difference between dcam and a regular 69 proof?

6. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

by the way, i look in the grey sheets to see if i can find this coin or any silver eagle but can't. where am i going wrong?

7. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

It's on Page 3B of the Weekly Greysheet, which you only get every other week.

8. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Looking at the 9/11/09 Greysheet this coin has a bid/ask of $2700/$2900.

The entire 5 coin proof set that had the 4 proof golds plus this coin has a bid ask of $4850/$5050.

Other common date 4 coin proof gold sets of that era have a bid/ask of $3035/$3100.

Seems like the power move would be to buy a 5 coin set and then sell off the proof gold. If you can buy/sell at the greysheet prices, you'd then have your 1995-W proof Silver Eagle for around $1815 to $1950 or so.

9. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

I think 69 Dcams run about $3000. I would not pay that for a modern coin of which 30,100 examples exist in unmolested condition. Just look at how many of them are for sale. When they drop to $1000-1500, then maybe I'll buy one.

10. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

They are all dcam. Never even heard of one that wasn't. But if you are asking what makes them dcam - it's the frosted devices having the cameo effect against the mirror finish fields. When tilted just right in the light, it makes the devices look like white against a black background. Same thing applies to any cameo coin. The name comes from cameo jewelry.

12. HULL COINS

HULL COINS Member

This man bought me a silver eagle for my birth year, 1994. Wish I could have gotten the 1995 W

13. chip

chip Novice collector

Wow! That is a lot of bucks for an eagle.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is the mint mailout from 1995.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cascade likes this.
  15. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

If I can get one PR69dcam for $2700 I'd be very happy, let's see if a generous dealer on ebay is out there :)

16. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Maybe I'll just have to try out my plan outlined above to get one of these uncertified for less than $2000, then submit to PCGS/NGC and make $700 or so off of you :p

17. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

lol ok, you're crazy enough to do it! ;)

18. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Hey Mike, is it possible to find one for around $2000? I'd think it'd be kinda hard for a proof.

19. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Well in my post above I stated that I think you can get one for under $2000 if the greysheet prices are accurate. Buy the 5 coin proof set for around $5000 and sell the proof gold coins from that set for around $3000 and you'll have your 1995-W Silver Eagle for around $2000.

20. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Sounds about right, here are the last to completed eBay auctions:1995 AMERICAN GOLD EAGLE 4 COIN PROOF SET WITH COA - eBay (item 330362790824 end time Oct-04-09 13:47:07 PDT)

1995W 10th Anniversary American Eagle Proof Bullion Set - eBay (item 290353262625 end time Oct-01-09 15:00:14 PDT)

And then just hope the Silver eagle comes back a 69.

21. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

There is always a possibility these or any raw coins have already been cherry picked and/or been submitted to a TPG. Of course I am old and paranoid

Draft saved Draft deleted