The 1938 D Buffalo Herd of WRPM's

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Paddy54, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The Buffalo Nickel series has always been a favorite of mine. As most of the nickel series they offer quite a lot to Cherry Pick. Here is the break down of the 1938 D herd. There are 9 RPM's plus 2 RPM'S that are D over S mint marks. As listed below.
    WRPM -001 Repunched D/D south
    WRPM-002 Repunched D/D West
    WRPM-003 Repunched D/D West
    WRPM-004 Repunched D/D/D West & South
    WRPM-005 Repunched D/D South
    WRPM-006 Repunched D/D south
    WRPM-007 Repunched D/D West
    WRPM-008 Repunched D/D West
    WRPM-009 Repunched D/D East
    D/S DD/S & DDD/S
    Today at the Annapolis show I cherry picked a nice toned Buffalo that I will post also. As I will post all my 1938 D herd. Now today's find could be a D/D with an die chip or even an D/S I'm not quite sure. However it was a nicely toned Buffalo and well worth the value I paid. {see note below as to today's find.} To those interested in Cherry Picking the 1938 D Buffalo you'll find that they are pretty reasonably priced. Most all mine grade in the MS64 /65 range.
    Since the 1938 D buffalo nickel mintage's were 7,020,000 it makes it quite easy to find nice coins still in MS condition. The first image is of an 1938 D MS-65 coin that I believe to be a regular punched MM. However it could be an WRPM-005 I'm not certain 1938 D Buffalo Nickel MS-65.jpg
    The next image is an 1938 D WRPM-006 This coin has very nice natural toning copper & green highlights. you can see the D East. inner loop of D

1938 D RPM -006.jpg
    The next 1938 D/D I believe to be an WRPM -002 Notice the D/D west of primary D 1938 D Buffalo WRPM 002.jpg
    The next 1938 Buffalo is an D/S Notice the S is North /West and PCGS has graded this coin as an D/S I'm thinking more towards an D/D/S as if you study the MM you'll notice that the D looks somewhat doubled towards the South & East.
    1938 DS WRPM.jpg

My 1938 D/D/D/S VP-001 MS-65 there's no doubt that this is an D/D/D/ S coin. As you'll see in the image. 1938 DDD S WRPM.jpg
    That brings us to today's pick up. A nicely toned Buffalo again copper tones that seems to stripe the face and hair. This is the WRPM that has me somewhat stumped. and you'll see that there's something perhaps a die chip or a partial MM on the inside back side of the D. 1938 Buffalo WRPM 007  2.jpg
    The Cherry Pickers guide list only one D/S which is the D/D/D/S however there's over five different D/S dies known for this date.The OMM-001 Variety is the one that is listed in most major pricing guides. Other varieties command less premium.

I'm going to take a break and later list some other OMM's found in the Buffalo series.

Now back from a lunch break I found the last coin posted is in fact an 1938 D/S . Reading in my Treasure hunting Buffalos nickel guide by Wexler,Pope,& Flynn that in fact it's an D/S Description: Over MM D/D/D/S
    Repunched D/S The diagonal bar of the S is seen through the middle of the D. Two extra serifs are seen on the bottom serif of the D. They value this variety in MS 65 @ $50. that makes me :) as I paid $20.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

VERY nice! These are soooo much easier to find when in nice condition. Very impressive.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

The last one is already on Wexler's site as WRPM-014 D/D/D Tilted (Rotated). There is a photo looking exactly like yours at the bottom of this page.

Nice pickups!

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Now one of my Buffalo's that everyone knows even through they my not be a coin collector is the 1937 D Three Legged Buffalo. When looking for this error coin one must be aware that since this is an coin well known that it is sometime counterfeited.
    I will give you some things to look for as to the real McCoy and a fake. Yes of course it has 3 legs. but more so a few markers that confirm it to be the real deal.
    One I always tell someone looking for this Variety is the right hind 1937 D 3 leg Rev.jpg 1937 D 3 Leg moth eaten.jpg 1937 D Raised dots.jpg leg always has a moth eaten look to it. The next is a line of raised dots from the middle of the Bison's belly to the ground are two of the diagnostics on a genuine specimen. The area outlined shows dots.

Rick Stachowski and tommyc03 like this.
  6. Paddy54

1937 S Reg MM.jpg 1937 S S Buffalo.jpg Since we are on the 1937 Date how about an 37 S/S Variety Image #2 is the S/S Image #1 is the normal MM.

Rick Stachowski, tommyc03 and jello like this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great images.

jello and Paddy54 like this.
  8. Paddy54

Thanks all for your input going to take a short break and them post two neat WWll era Jefferson Nickels. Both are Varieties that I think you'll like. Paddy

Evan Saltis, frog eye 73 and tommyc03 like this.
  9. Paddy54

Yes I will agree as the site you referenced is updated as my book reference has not. Good call....thanks for updating my post. I'm still tickled with the coin. :)
    Goes to show you how up dating your library always helps. But with all you can find on line it's sometimes easyer to check on line. Again thanks for the information .

10. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Good work everyone !!!
    Photos Paddy posted
    to Wexler new update
    */* would have missed something or thinking to look and see if there was a update on die change.
    No bickering is a pleasant change. :)

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I have a 1938 D/D 5C BUFFALO WRPM-013 coming from ANACS cert #7404159 MS63 I'll post image when I get it.

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Paddy54

So Dennis you made this thread surface...lol ive completely forgotten about it.

dwhiz and Evan Saltis like this.
  13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@Paddy54 1938-D Buffalo Nickel MS-63 WRPM 013.jpg 1938-D Buffalo Nickel MS-63 WRPM 013.jpg
    Here's my old image that I updated.
    I like finding old threads and bringing them back to life.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted