The 1882 O/S Morgan Top 100 Vam or Refuted Over Mint Mark

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Pleeese...:arghh: This from the keyboard of an "expert" die sinker. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Then why haven't you?

If you have compelling proof that is contrary to what I have shown that supports your and Dave Lange's opinion, it's incumbent upon you to try and convince someone that it carries water with something more substantive than bluster.

Insider likes this.
  4. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

Cascade and Insider like this.
  5. Insider

I have explained my opinion w/o bluster. Yet again, IMO you have shown nothing of substance that links the die states. Also, NO ONE who holds the "accepted belief" has demonstrated how a very weak, barely-raised, something that looks like an "S" can become a strong, flush, sharp "S" in a later die state! :happy:

I'll bet I could convince a jury of numismatists (not the expert VAM collectors who just accepted what they saw in books) that the EDS/LDS's were unintentionally reversed by numismatists who did not know better at the time.

When I started to become interested in varieties, there was a universally accepted (by the "Flat-Earth" folks) 1869/8 Indian cent. That was quickly corrected. We did it with die sates and crude overlays. IMO, the "O/S" is a similar case that was never tackled and corrected. We'll just need to see what develops. You are a respected numismatist. I'm going to try to get you over to our (Lange and I) side eventually. Then we'll rope in more...:happy:

6. messydesk

Just because you can't understand the proof doesn't mean it isn't proof.
    Start by convincing one person here.

Cascade likes this.
  7. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the theory that steel is added back to a die as it goes from EDS to LDS. Did they have a micro TIG welder back then?

8. Insider

:rolleyes: Please don't confuse the issue with an OBVIOUS OBSERVATION.

NOTE: That your observation has not been addressed YET or REFUTED so you and I must not understand that the proof given in other posts is proof enough for the Society of Silver Dollar Collectors and National Silver Dollar Roundtable members.

9. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

This is telling on myself. Back in the 50's my brother Paul and I worked at plowing, $1 an hour, 60 hours a week. We were rich! Rich for kids in grade school any way. We loved silver dollars and when we found Whitman holders we had a mission. We always converted our pay to silver dollars and started our first collections. It was only then that we learned that there were mints other than blank (Phillie) D and S. O was special. N.O. was where the Texas Navy had hid out to keep O'Sam H. from grabing the ships and selling them. (He hated the Navy) So we wanted our "O"'S to be perfect. We found a couple of O/S and thought they were just messed up O's and traded them back in hoping for nice, perfect ones.

Insider likes this.
  10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I think the argument is that EDS and LDS versions aren't the same dies, not that some progression problem is happening.

11. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

This was the post I was referring to Dave.

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Actually, his argument is that the eds & lds should be reversed if you can believe it

13. Insider

That is a very good possibility that I first raised in post#29 above.

HOWEVER, @messydesk (an outstanding representative of the Morgan dollar experts) and the VAM guys do not make that distinction and say VAM-3 exists in EDS and LDS; and VAM-4 exists in EDS and LDS. All struck using the same die for each VAM.

If the dies are the same for each of the present VAM's then the "believers" will need to show a die progression where a fairly faint misshaped "S" inside the "O" becomes stronger AS THE DIE IS USED! And as usual, no comments yet to explain how this could happen.

As for me, I think a good start would be to switch the early/late die states while further research is done and some articles are published.;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  14. messydesk

If I felt I could rewrite post #19 in words you could understand, I would, but you've made it abundantly clear that it's not possible to do so.

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Wait, what?

Insider likes this.
  16. Insider

Why not give it a try? I should like to understand how something happens during a DIE FAILURE resulting in a sharp, high-relief crossbar of an "S." "Microscopically speaking" die failures, die wear, die damage, die pitting, die fatigue, sunken dies, and die whatever does not become a clear, strong O/S due to ANYTHING outside of the Mint's engraving shop. Then that O/S may deteriorate into a LDS (erroneously called an EDS at present) with use. The original VAM reference got it wrong! :(

17. Insider

@SuperDave You just received one of only two "Best Answers" I ever gave. I'm still giggling :hilarious:

PS SD has me on IGNORE so please pass this on.

18. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Here is mine, sorry I don't have a close-up of the mintmark.

100_6447.JPG 100_6448.JPG

Paddy54 and Dave Waterstraat like this.
  19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

DSC_0585.jpg

20. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I have bumped this thread on the request of @Insider

Insider likes this.
  21. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

He needed help?