The 1780s Royal Mugshots Set

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sylvester, Aug 9, 2005.

1. sylvester

sylvester New Member

The 1780s, the US was a relatively new country trying to find it's way in the world, laying it's foundations for the future, one that would see it become the next major World super power. In the 1780s though a new super power was gathering ground as Spain's and Portugal's dominance began to decline somewhat. Great Britain driven by the thrust of the escalating Industrial Revolution began, in the traditional saying; to paint the World pink as the British Empire began to spread.

Meanwhile France the upholder of the old European tradition of absolute monarchy was facing a difficult period as the country verged into bankruptcy the problems gathered throughout the decade until the cataclysmic events of the final year of the decade brought the Ancien Regime crashing down and plunged France into revolutions and counter-revolutions.

With the French monarchs Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette sticking rigidly to the extravagant lifestyles accustom to divine monarchs (particularly Marie who it was said never wore a pair of shoes more than once, quite how far this is true though?). Her brother Joesph II of Austria had started the decade vying for power against his mother Maria Theresa, her death in 1780 paved the way for a more forward thinking monarch. Who showed none of the leadership skills fitting to his place, he mismanaged the failed attempt to initiate a military coup at Belgrade in 1788. The Enlightenment was deeply influencing political culture, Joseph II was certainly very keen on it and attempted to be more liberal with regards to such issues as religion, which only ended up with Pope Pius VI knocking on his door in the summer of 1782. More trouble for Joseph who by 1789 was so knocked back and reduced to ill health that he died the following year shortly after all his reforms had been revoked. He died knowing he'd failed.

George III of Great Britain hadn't faired much better, the loss of the American territories were finally confirmed in 1783, there was a coinage crisis fast developing out of control and the first long term signs of his madness first appeared in 1788 (although he had, had a very brief bout way back in 1765), the arsenic/Antimony medication the doctors gave him created more problems than it solved. Indeed his daughter also suffered from Porphyria and after her death from arsenic poisoning in 1810 the king was deeply disturbed and eventually his own porphria reoccured and by 1811 he fell into his final illness and was locked away in Windsor Castle until his death in 1820. A sad end to a king once popular with his subjects.

The 1780s were a rather influential period in European politics and inevitably in European culture from the rise of Britain to a super power, the fall of Ancien Regime France and the decline of the Holy Roman Empire which had held the German territories under sway for so long.

And to celebrate this decade i have a small collection started which i fully intend to add bits to as and when.

First up;

France

Louis XVI (1774-1792), silver Dixieme d'Ecu (1/10th ecu, or 12 Sols), 1788-MA

[​IMG]

Next up;

Austria & the Holy Roman Empire

Joseph II (1765-1780 with his mother Maria Theresa, 1780-1790 alone). Gold Austrian 2 Ducats 1786-B [GD which mint is B?]

[​IMG]

That's all i've got for now. When i buy a 1787 sixpence then i should have Great Britain represented too. (I used to have two but i sold them!) :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rick

rick Coin Collector

Great post Sylvester. I enjoyed the story and the coins. I love the passion you have for the pieces in your collection. It's always fun to read.

4. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Thanks Rick. I always enjoy writing new posts like this. :D

5. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

As someone who majored in history - and still reads it obsessively - I always mourn at how little people know of their own country's history, much less anyone else's. It was wonderful to read some history by someone who understands it, and can apply it to the coins he owns. Well done!

6. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Well i've just started reading a book on early modern France, i've had the book a while but i've only just got around to reading it. It covers the background to Henri IV's accession and runs through the problems France faced right through to the death of Louis XIV.

Needless to say from what i've read so far France in the early 1600s was in the classic saying; rock, hard place. Which was then followed by the Thirty Years War, the rise of Louis XIV who was ultimately the one responsible for steering France towards its destruction. Of course Louis XV did not help. All fascinating stuff.

Do you ever get the feeling that people (in particular politicians) really are very naive and that history often seems to repeat itself, different people, different names, different location but generally the same kind of things happen?

I can't help but feel if more people knew their history perhaps mistakes of the past could be avoided to some degree.

Draft saved Draft deleted