Thats ALOT of Lead

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, May 30, 2016.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That's a PIG OF LEAD! Pretty nice! Fun find...

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It is interesting and seemingly capricious that lead objects are not included in the UK's Treasure Act. Hey @Ardatirion-- perhaps you should head to the UK with a metal detector!

5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Ye Gads !!! That's huge!!!

That's so super cool!!! Damn, I wish we had a chance to find things like that here

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

'A lot' is two words.

7. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

What a amazing find, can you image the thrill he felt when he discovered this artifact?

8. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned on FB that it could be one "lost" some two hundred years ago, just mentioned in old written sources, but exactly like this one.

Great find whatever case it may be!

9. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I work at Wells museum from time to time and there are lead pigs there. VespasIan ones I recall.
    Lead was mined in the Mendip Hills close to Wells, so not unusual.
    Nice roman road runs over the Mendips, I shall be detecting there this winter!!

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  10. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

here piggy piggy

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  11. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

That's a lot of lead. I could use a brick like that for casting .50 cal balls for my cap and ball black powder rifle.

Alegandron and Magnus Maximus like this.
  12. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Pretty sure a major reason Rome annexed Britian was because of it's rich tin and lead deposits.
    Cool article Mat!

Alegandron likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Ditto!

14. noname

noname Well-Known Member

why do they call it a pig

KIWITI likes this.
  15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I honestly would like to know too. Never heard of the term till I read it.

16. Alegandron

In maufacturing, a Pig is a large cast piece of raw material metal that is to be melted down. Pig of iron, etc.

Probly cuz they are fat, squat, and heavy...

Theodosius likes this.
  17. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

The word pig originally in old English derived from what we would call today a furrow, ie. Trench like shape. Pigs probably got their name that way, from the furrows it makes with its snout.

However, when it comes to ingots, the name probably comes from the oblong-shape molds into which molten metal is run. Since pig derives from the old English word for furrow (trench-like shape) it is a case of the mold giving the ingot it's name. Ive also heard it said that a row of moulds fed by a common runner (molds were cast that way in the old days) also resembled a litter of suckling pigs.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

From Wikipedia:
    "Pig iron is the intermediate product of smelting iron ore. It is the molten iron from the blast furnace, which is a large and cylinder-shaped furnace charged with iron ore, coke, and limestone. Charcoal and anthracite have also been used as fuel. Pig iron has a very high carbon content, typically 3.5–4.5%,[1] along with silica and other constituents of dross, which makes it very brittle and not useful directly as a material except for limited applications.

The traditional shape of the molds used for pig iron ingots was a branching structure formed in sand, with many individual ingots at right angles[2] to a central channel or runner, resembling a litter of piglets being suckled by a sow. When the metal had cooled and hardened, the smaller ingots (the pigs) were simply broken from the runner (the sow), hence the name pig iron.[3] As pig iron is intended for remelting, the uneven size of the ingots and the inclusion of small amounts of sand caused only insignificant problems considering the ease of casting and handling them."

Theodosius and Mikey Zee like this.
  19. Alegandron

We melted scrap aluminum down into ingots called pigs. Pigs were an intermediate raw material inventory prior to being melted and molded into product. We did the same with iron. Melted down scrap iron, engine blocks, etc. into pigs. Later remelted and molded into product. :)

They were fat, squat, and heavy... And they were on runners (sprues) like suckling pigs, too.

I am used to making things... :)

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  20. noname

noname Well-Known Member

They also made a historical inaccuracy, they said that the Romans invaded Britain 2500 years ago, the Romans didn't attempt invading Britain until 50 BC, under Julius Caesar, and they didn't actually conquer Britain until 43 AD under Claudius.
    Which was under 2000 years ago.

Theodosius, Okidoki and Alegandron like this.
  21. tbc

tbc Well-Known Member

The 'item of outstanding historical, archaeological or cultural importance' is the catch all caveat within the act for items not normally fitting the definition of treasure.
    I wouldn't have thought so in this case but if my memory serves me it was an amendment added to stop the sale of such items as this;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosby_Garrett_Helmet

Wiki mentions the controversy regarding the application of the act in this case (prior to the amendment) but stories were on the grapevine that there may have been a bigger one!

Draft saved Draft deleted