That moment when you literally strike gold

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Numismat, Feb 4, 2016.

1. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

When you get to see as many coins and estates as I do, you begin to expect things like this (I call them a "cherry" cause I pick 'em!) to happen on a regular if not infrequent basis. I haven't had a good one in over a year. I bought a beautiful Frankford Delaware $10 note at a coin auction for $45 simply because no one there did their homework properly except me. That was over a year ago.

Numismat likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Oh. Beautiful coin and a hell of a find! (grrrrrrr)

Numismat likes this.
  4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Hope is an eternal prospect! I have found little treasures like that in junk box searches, never gold, but some really really rare and valuable stuff.

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

This is maybe the third time I found gold that was completely unexpected in about a decade of buying bulk world lots. But yes I have also found non-gold rarities and much more often than gold coins. My best bulk lot find to date is this 1918 US admin Philippine mule 5 centavos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With condition in consideration, the 1918 mule is arguably the rarest coin of all from US admin Philippines. Compare to this finest known MS64 example that went to auction at Heritage: http://coins.ha.com/itm/philippines...-25633.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515
    Or the most recent one, which is an MS61 http://coins.ha.com/itm/philippines...-31371.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

While I don't expect mine to be worth the crazy sums these coins sold for, it's still my best eBay lot find and one of the best coins in my entire collection.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    rooman9 and Kasia like this.
  7. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Great find and in nice condition, you can't beat GOLD.

Numismat likes this.
  8. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

Numismat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted