Thasos/Thracian Tet

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AussieCollector, Sep 25, 2017.

1. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Hi all

I bought this Tetradrachm from MA Shops last year.

It was sold as a Thracian Tetradrachm from around 150 BC (range given from 200 BC to 100 BC).

I have read that there is a bit of controversy/debate about these coins, including (possibly?) both modern and ancient forgeries.

I’ve checked out this design against examples on Wildwinds, and it seems ok. But I was just wondering whether someone could enlighten me as to what the issues are, and whether I might have been sold a dud?

Thanks in advance
    coin5.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AussieCollector

P.S - I think my question is, is this a Thasos Tetradrachm or a Barbarian imitation Tetradrachm? If the latter, my impression is that it is a very good imitation. But I'd really prefer it if it were a Thasos Tetradrachm....

4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I purchased one of the type from FAC and I'll post it for a comparison. The wear on yours makes it even tougher for me to judge anything from just a photo, especially since so many seem to be weakly struck on the obverse....

Silver tetradrachm, Prokopov Thasos, group XVIII, 1635 (O FF3 / R 1304); SNG Cop 1040 ff., VF, centered on a tight flan, light toning, light marks, Roman provincial or military mint, weight 16.769g, maximum diameter 30.7mm, die axis 0o, c. 148 - 80 B.C.; obverse head of Dionysos right, wearing taenia and wreathed in flowering ivy; reverse HPAKΛEOYΣ ΣΩTHPOΣ ΘAΣIΩN, Herakles standing half left, nude but for Nemean lion's skin on left arm, resting right hand on grounded club before him, left hand on hip, MH monogram inner left.

[​IMG]

5. AussieCollector

Thanks for your response and post.

My coin has been heavily cleaned (I'd say a horde find) and probably recently, which makes it hard to tell. It has also been bent many times, is deeply scratched just below Hercules and I think has also been lightly drilled - presumably all to test if it's real silver (which the SG test I conducted shows it most definitely is, and quite pure at that). It also weighs 16.63g - not sure if that's relevant?

The design of Hercules leaning back on his club is a common Thasos design I have seen, but I've also seen many designs of Hecules not leaning back.

The lettering seems largely consistent, but it's a little hard to tell how consistent given the flattening/wear on my coin

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I will toss mine in for comparison... mine is probably closer to your issue. Mine is from @Ancientnoob , a very trusted provider:

I believe this was probably minted as a military mint traveling with the Romans.

upload_2017-9-25_19-6-45.png
    Thrace Thasos 146-50 BCE Roman provincial or Military mint AR Tet Dionysos Herakles Club Lion skin

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I know little about these except that they exist everywhere from really fine Greek style to the worst mess of barbarous work you can imagine. Where we draw lines between official and ancient imitations and how we tell ancient imitations from modern fakes is not something I have studied. I have two. Neither is the best or the worst. I am not in the market for one of the wild imitations partly because I don't choose to pt in the study that would make me comfortable assuming that I could be capable of doing that. IMHO, this is a coin to buy from a very trusted source.
    g30975bb3252.jpg g30980bb0352.jpg

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    Thasos, Thrace, BC 168-148
    AR, tetradrachm, 16.12g, 31mm; 11h
    Obv.: Portrait of Dionysos
    Rev.: ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ to left, ΗΡΑΚΛΕΟΥΣ to right, ΘΑΣΙΩΝ below; Hercules with lion pelt in arm resting on club. M monogram left

I don't know these well enough to determine if yours is barbarous or not. There is a website...http://thracecoins.reidgold.com/ check it out.

9. AussieCollector

Thanks all for the posts guys. Appreciate the comparisons.

And thanks Jwt708 for the link. I had found that website previously, although I didn't realise that there were a whole bunch of links at the bottom.

Looking at all the different designs posted by you guys, along with Wildwinds, and this website: http://thracecoins.reidgold.com/progression.html - I guess I can only conclude that this is either a Thasos Tetradrachm, or a very good Barbarian imitation.

Unless, there is an expert around...? :angelic:

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I would love to own one of the wilder barbarous interpretations of this coin.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

12. AussieCollector

Hi all, just as an FYI, after discussion on this coin I went back to the original seller to ask some clarifying questions about the coin.

They were really helpful and got back to me straight away, advising that it is indeed a late Thasos Tetradrachm, almost certainly struck under Roman rule, and that it is definitely not a barbarian imitation.

Thanks all for your posts and comments!

Theodosius and Mikey Zee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted