Thank you @Deacon Ray

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Youngcoin, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

20170919_203904.jpg 20170919_203939.jpg 20170919_204016.jpg 20170919_204028.jpg 20170919_204108.jpg 20170919_204031.jpg 20170919_204126.jpg 20170919_204155.jpg 20170919_204533.jpg 20170919_204504.jpg Hello everyone! I would like to thank @Deacon Ray for his generosity and kindness for sending me these gifts which you will see above, personally Deacon Ray thank you so much my collection of ancients is building! Without further adue here they are (along with a suprise gift)

(Sorry for this being down here don't know how to fix it)

Again thank you so much! I really love the two small copper coins and the story with them it has such a great meaning to it also the Roman big coin with the amazing strike and detail I really love and the spiral symbol on one of the judaeic coins intrigues me.

Sorry for bad pics.

Also he sent a book too!!!! I read to page 11 tonight!

:) ;)

Thanks,
    Jacob

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Wow what a lucky person! Deacon really gave you the goods. Nice 2x2 inserts, too!

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto

Youngcoin and ominus1 like this.
  5. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Cool! And your book is autographed by the author, too. Perfect touch, @Deacon Ray!

Youngcoin and ominus1 like this.
  6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Youngcoin and Curtisimo like this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very nice group of Judea coins with a follis of G. Max. + Waynes 2nd edition! too kool! very thoughtful D Ray.

Youngcoin likes this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

9. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Sweet! Deacon Ray is a boss! :cool:

Keep up the good work, Young One.

Erin

MFish, Deacon Ray and Youngcoin like this.
  10. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

You’re welcome, Jacob, and thank you! I'm only following the generous example set by many other of our Ancient Forum members! I could start naming members who have inspired me but I don't want to leave any out. I'll just thank the whole CTAF. In the future, when your collection is well established—you'll be reaching out and helping the beginners also. Read the book, study the coins, and ask questions. What an awesome opportunity to learn—the experts are right here and only a mouse click away.

MFish, RAGNAROK, LaCointessa and 2 others like this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

A very generous gift, indeed! Not to mention as excellent an ancients starter kit as one could hope for. All hail the Deacon!

12. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

This is what hobbies are supposed to be about. Far too often, I see people hoarding their knowledge and being dismissive to newbies. All that does is assure the death of the hobbie in question.

Then the old guys sit around complaining that kids aren't taking up ...insert hobby here.

The gun world is notorious for this. Every gun club/gun shop has some curmudgeon who is overbearing, rude, over-officious, and downright mean. He takes it upon himself to be judge, jury and executioner for everything and chases off good new members/customers.

Generally, hobby forums are the same way....even other areas of CT are guilty of it.

This group has it right. Keep giving back, even if you get burned by seeing a gifted coin on eBay, because it will create one or two dedicated ancient collectors.

Plus, it teaches the rest of us the right way as well.

13. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

As a tetrarchic-era collector, I have to admit that I'm a little envious of that Galerius with the Genius reverse. What a beauty!

Deacon Ray and Youngcoin like this.
  14. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I encountered some of this when I first started out 15+ years ago and was peppering the Moneta_L discussion list with a lot of naive questions. However, the curmudgeons were vastly outnumbered by all the patient and supportive experts who willingly shared their vast knowledge with me and helped me gain a sense of the joys and challenges that this hobby offers. Because of all their help, I stuck with the hobby, and I remain indebted to them.

Deacon Ray and Youngcoin like this.
  15. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

Amen brother.

16. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

surprise, surprise! :D c'mon, it's Deacon Ray... ;)

Deacon Ray likes this.
  17. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Great hobbies always keep on with great men.

18. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Thanks guys! Sorry for the late reply busy day, Deacon ray really is the man he's so kind and generous! it was very nice of him! And when the time is right I will repay the favor by sending a newbie some coins too!

Thanks,
    Jacob

Deacon Ray and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted