Thank you all, but especially...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by LaCointessa, Sep 26, 2017.

1. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Not too long ago, perhaps it was a month ago or so, while browsing quickly through the forums, I came across a thread where those of us who had enjoyed being on the receiving end of the generosity of more senior CT members, were expressing their appreciation and thanks. I was sure I marked the thread so I could easily find it again and add my expressions of thanks and appreciation, too.

I can't find the thread and I have searched for it every way I can think of. I decided to start this thread which I expect won't be a thread since it is only meant to be my own statement of thanks.

It is a good time, though, to describe my continuing experience with the coins that I was sent by those who did not know me and had no reason to make any gift to me. I normally do not get gifts. I am usually the giver and receiving, for me, is quite uncomfortable. But my CT experience rather forced me to grow in this respect.

@Parthicus - I remember when Parthicus offered to send me ancient coins and how those old messages of childhood: "You can do without" and "You are not deserving" and "You can do with something less" came bubbling up. Of course, I did not share the details of my childhood psychology and baggage with Parthicus, but somehow he seemed to understand my need to have a day to process his generosity. Thank you again, Parthicus, for the coins you sent to me and the challenge to have them attributed by a time certain. I enjoyed the pressure of the time constraint. I missed the time limit due to the Chinese coin, which, with additional clues from you, I finally did solve. It was way fun! Thank you so much.

(I am not thanking people in any particular order of importance.)

@Sallent - Sallent and I share a profession but different aspects of it. I help indigent people who have nowhere else to turn, who have cases deemed 'impossible;' and, who in my personal (and extremely conservative opinion) are deserving of my meager physical energy and resources to try to legitimize their presence and legal status in the USA. We mostly solve those cases and I truly believe those people are steered to my desk by G-d. Sallent and I never talk law and I love that since I never intended to be a lawyer and don't like practicing it. I am really an artist. Sallent, thank you again for the lovely coins you sent me, especially because there were multiple victories in them and that means something to me.

@Victor_Clark - I have been thinking about Victor over the last couple of weeks. I miss seeing him on the boards. I mean to message him soon. But in the meantime, I also continue spending time with the coins he sent to me. They are so pristine. Now I want to ask: Are the coins you sent to me uncirculated? Goodness gracious! I think so! And it's freaking me out! I never considered it when I received them. I only knew that they were the shiniest and prettiest, newest looking coins and they still are standing out like twinkling stars in my ancients binder. Thank you Victor!

@lordmarcovan - Gee, I wasn't even the winner of one of his contests and yet he flooded me with all sorts of cool coinage! I love his sense of humor. LordM reminds me of my best childhood friend, JB, who, from the minute I saw him each time our parents got together, caused me continuous laughter and giggly side ache pain. Thank you lordmarcovan for the wonderful collection of US and world coins you sent. I am crazy about the Brazilian coins and spend most of my time with those two.

Of course, there are so many other CT members who have inspired me to study and just enjoy feasting my eyes on luscious coins I will never own, like @TIF and @Curtisimo, @Deacon Ray, @Roman Collector, @Bing, @dougsmit,@zumbly and others, including those who sent coins to me.

In addition, I want to thank John Anthony for conducting the auctions which I enjoy so much even when i am not able to bid on anything. I learn a great deal from his auction descriptions.

Finally, thank you to all those who I simply find entertaining and ready to help others and make us smile, especially @Pickin and Grinin and @Kentucky as well as (I forget their CT names but) the CT member with the paper bag over his head and the other one with the snapping finger gif/avatar I never tire of seeing.

I know I am forgetting many CT members who enrich my experience here. Please forgive me. Thank you all.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

Good stuff!

LaCointessa likes this.
  4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

It's pretty hard to write a thank you thread when 100% of the members here deserve it!

mikenoodle, Curtisimo and LaCointessa like this.
  5. LaCointessa

You said it; but, I had to try because I missed the other thread and I did not want CT members to think I was not appreciative - G-d forbid.

6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

@LaCointessa You are right, we do come from different schools of law. You help the indigent while I (like most other attorneys) am no better than a vampire with a Juris Doctor degree.

If you describe yourself as an artist, I guess I can best be described as a starving swamp leech desperately looking to suck some blood out of fat middle aged suburbanites who wandered unsuspectingly into the swamp while camping for the first time in their lives.:vamp:

Yes, your heart is made out of gold. You do very honorable work. On the other hand, I'd say I have none like most other deformed and grotesque creatures of the night (ie. Lawyers), except I do provide pro bono assistance on occasion...so deep down in the dark crevices of my thoracic cavity must lie the shrunken remains of what was once a human heart.:hungover:

Frankly, I'm glad I know you. Its nice to talk with a fellow attorney about something other than Used Car Salesmanship 101 (also known as Law in some circles.)

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, I have employed MANY lawyers throughout my career. The best ones were the ones that had great jokes and had fun with their profession. However, I found THEM to be the BEST and truly enjoyed their services! :)

Most were product liability, intellectual property, corporate, contract, and various sundry specialties... none of the Criminal type law. Only the Good Lawyers can poke fun at their profession... the ones that are truly "sharks" are the ones that are sensitive to the jibes. :)

I absconded with a couple of your cast-offs, but fine jewels in the latest auction. I am honored stewarding those placeholders in History.

@LaCointessa ! Enjoy your journey. It has been very fun, enjoying your comments and questions. Keep them coming. I learn as you ask and folks answer! Should you ever delve into the funky areas that I enjoy, I will be glad to give my thoughts, albeit novice answers. :)

midas1, Sallent, Mikey Zee and 3 others like this.
  8. LaCointessa

Oh Sallent!
    I am happy to know you, too.
    And "Swamp Leach" sounds like a great title for a monster flick!
    Maybe it grew out of the Everglades after the last hurricane.

IMPORTANT: Note to self: Remember to remove first-time camping trip from bucket list!!

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@LaCointessa
    Hey... how about me?

Just kidding... glad to have you as a member! ;)

edit* Oh... I might be the guy with the snapping finger hahahaha

Curtisimo and LaCointessa like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

You're a class act, Cointessa. I've said it before. The forums are better for your being here, beyond the shadow of a doubt.

As far as the gifts you have received go, I'll fall back on a tried-but-true cliché aphorism: "what comes around goes around". Karma is a boomerang cycle.

So you liked the Brazilian coins, eh? Hmm. Duly noted. ;)

I remember you liking that 2017 Mardi Gras doubloon.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That would be me. :) I'm here, and at your service. And happily glad that you are here also.........

12. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Very nice post I've also been seen first hand the generosity of the members here, everyone deserves a thanks for the knowledge shared but some share much more then knowledge so once again @Sallent @Valentinian @Deacon Ray thank you guys! (Just another quick thanks cause they deserve it)

Thanks,
    Jacob

midas1, LaCointessa and GerardV like this.
  13. LaCointessa

Yes, you certainly are that snapping finger. It would have helped if I mentioned the coin flipping. And I don't know how I forgot Paddy...since my car's name is Patty (for short). I won't forget again.

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Wait, is this thread going to turn into a group hug? I'm okay with that, just don't squeeze too hard because I had sushi for lunch and I don't want it coming back up :vomit:

@LaCointessa : I'm so happy that you really enjoyed my gift! (You did mention it at the time, but I don't mind hearing it twice.) And, not to get too into personal history or psychology, but yes, I do have a very personal understanding of those feelings of not being worthy (of gifts, of attention, of love, etc.) so no need to explain. And I think I speak for everyone when I say we are glad to have you here.

And to all the lawyers on CoinTalk: My own sister is a lawyer (and we get along well), so I will not be mindlessly slamming the whole profession. Some lawyers are self-serving (just as some people are bad in every profession), but I've also seen how lawyers can use their skills to help people, both in more general, abstract cases and in very specific, individual acts. And also, while I'm here, I should point out that not all scientists are Mad, in fact only a small percentage of us will ever cackle maniacally and shout "Fools! But I'll show them- oh yes- I shall show them all!" while lab equipment shoots huge sparks everywhere.

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It is a pleasure knowing that I am not alone in my search for knowledge. I feel fortunate that you are a member here.
    Phil

mikenoodle, Curtisimo and LaCointessa like this.
  16. LaCointessa

Oh yesss, the 2017 Mardi Gras doubloon!! But it does not stay with my other coins. It actually stays right next to me on my night stand - but that is a whole other story - and not for publication here! ;):happy::). I told you you blew me away when I saw that coin in the package! I want to change what I said and say that the King Koin is my favorite of the coins you sent to me! Thanks again!!!

17. LaCointessa

Green..Green18!! I won't forget it again. Sorry!

green18 likes this.
  18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Indeed..........:)

LaCointessa likes this.
  19. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

We are going to influence you to the dark side one of these days Phil ;) mark my words! :D

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  20. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I really have to get back on the ancients forum... it has a character distinct from the rest of the site, which is also good, but different from the ancient forum... I'd better not get myself in trouble here... :D

21. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thank you for the shout out LaCointessa. I've said it before but will do so again... I'm glad you joined here and I enjoy reading your posts. They are all quite witty and sincere.

All the new members contributing and all the fun giveaways we have been having have got me thinking it might be time soon to have another give away game in the near future. I haven't done an ancients give away since the Imperator tournament :) will have to start planning something

Draft saved Draft deleted