Thank God my PCGS Membership is up... who should I use to grade coins instead?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevin Farley, May 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's not true at all. While there standards aren't identical between the 4, no one is grading on a true technical scale and your description of market grading wasn't really accurate either

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

charley, posted: "That is fine." No, that statement was incorrect.

"So, which coin was I referring to?"

It does not matter, for problem coins we try very hard to determine the coin's grade w/o the problem and then list the problem.

mrweaseluv, posted: "At this point there are 2 seperate grading systems being used though still called the "same".. PCGS and NGC (to a slightly lesser degree) Grade on a Market scale while ANACS and ICG use the more accurate Technical scale."

AFAIK, no TPGS uses a "technical scale" any more. However, ANACS and ICG tend to hand out more "details" grades].

4. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I'm not renewing mine either. I don't have an issue with the grading, its the customer service that's bad.

Kevin Farley and MIGuy like this.
  5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Maybe this could be an interesting thread all of it's own. I don’t know if being "certified" would mean a whole lot in the coin world or not.
    The "grading by consensus", having multiple graders evaluate a coin, seems to work pretty well for the TPGs though.

6. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I concur, it would be and has been in the past on, another forum.

I recall the same initial response of whether or not it would mean a lot in the coin market/world/hobby.

I asked fellow enthusiasts to view the subject of Grading Qualifications in a manner of fiduciary responsibility. Lightbulbs will turn on, in that dark area of the coin world.

longshot likes this.
  7. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Active Member

Yeah this gave me a good chuckle

charley likes this.
  8. Kevin Farley

Well thank this forum lol

9. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I am always glad i can make anybody smile.
    Which piece am I referring to, do you think?

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

From posts 8 and 11

A lot of knowledgeable experienced people have been trying to help you not only in this thread but your others as well. I'm not sure if you really want to learn, or just want people to tell you what you want to hear.

From post 8

@Insider offered To evaluate the coin in hand for only the cost of postage. But you responded with a condescending lol!!

You've been a member here for a while, but in case you don't know Insiders credentials, he was involved with setting up the original ANA authentication service in the 70's, has written a regular column in numismatics publications for years (decades?), and has been involved with grading services from the beginning. After working for ANACS, and NGC, he is now with ICG. Why not take him up on his offer?

11. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I'll say this about this thread -

Ed Wood was more entertaining...... :D:D:D

12. Kevin Farley

Have you read my other comments in this thread? My "lol" wasn't "condescending" bud. I didn't/don't know who he is, so why would I send my coin to a random person to have him grade it? Like, are you being serious?

I have zero issue with his second opinion and in fact would greatly welcome it whether it's one I agree with or not, despite what anyone thinks. Some rando saying "send me the coin and I'll grade it" will get a hard no, obviously. So unless I can send it to ICG or wherever he works and request him or something like that it's not happening

13. Kevin Farley

Lol that's a great nickname

14. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Here’s some either bad luck or???

pop report shows 289 70’s with the players getting a bulk advantage, early buy etc. Now three little fish in different parts of the country, ordering at different times submit 1 each...there were 11 69’s. Guess which 3 got 69’s?

Coincidence? Bad luck? Odds?

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The man told you to send it to ICG and he would look at it and give his opinion. He wanted to help you and you just act stupid.

jwitten, wxcoin, bradgator2 and 2 others like this.
  16. Kevin Farley

I don't really care which piece you're referring to lol. If saying a coins "details grade" has no point or determination of coins grade then why do they do it? Why don't they just label it "Cleaned, Totally Effed"? Are you saying their opinion doesn't matter?

17. Kevin Farley

That's really nice of him, but as I've said, why would I want a grade from someone that could potentially have any type of bias? Yeah, this isn't a complicated concept

Insider likes this.
  18. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Kevin Farley, posted: "Have you read my other comments in this thread? My "lol" wasn't "condescending" bud. I didn't/don't know who he is, so why would I send my coin to a random person to have him grade it? Like, are you being serious?

I have zero issue with his second opinion and in fact would greatly welcome it whether it's one I agree with or not, despite what anyone thinks. Some [:bucktooth: :stinkyfeet:] rando saying "send me the coin and I'll grade it" will get a hard no, obviously. So unless I can send it to ICG or wherever he works and request him or something like that it's not happening."

I can understand that you didn't see this challenge. I find that most folks who condemn a TPGS need their eyes checked. This is what the dumb :bucktooth: dude trying to confirm your :bookworm::cigar: opinion over the TPGS posted:

Insider, posted: "Here is a challenge: Put some money where your mouth is. You pay postage both ways and send any slab you feel is incorrectly graded to me at ICG. We'll leave them in their slabs and give you/PCGS a fair review. Take before pictures so folks will see what you send. ICG is on of the major TPGS. ;)

PS Kevin, I admit to having a bias...I cannot tolerate over-graded coins or "Detailed" coins that are straight graded.

wxcoin likes this.
  19. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Here’s a fun story. In an attempt to educate a 12 yr that you never clean coins, 2 went in. A cracked out NGC 67 est approx $1200 in the right holder. A coin with a spot the kid scrubbed with a Magic Eraser. Result: the 67 no grades, the Magic coin receives a 64.

20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@Insider is well known for being straight forward and speaking his mind, regardless of who may disagree.

Hopefully, you've learned something about the members, their expertise, and willingness to help

Edit to add: this board has a number of experts that are willing share their expertise. Whether it's grading or authenticating Zerbe Morgan dollars, really smart people are here. While you may not know them specifically, others do, and arguing with them and telling them they know nothing does not help you build credibility. Just something to consider

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    wxcoin and Kevin Farley like this.
  21. Kevin Farley

Some of the good apples probably have, and may continue to be, thrown out because of the bad ones... my apologies to anyone who was just trying to politely help. No apologies to the rude, condescending, or "I'm a know-it-all but how dare you be a know-it-all". How's that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.