Thank God my PCGS Membership is up... who should I use to grade coins instead?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevin Farley, May 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I've used both NGC and PCGS to grade coins. I generally don't see a whole lot of differences between the two. I'm definitely no expert and when I do get a submission back I'm generally disappointed that some coins didn't receive straight grades or higher grades. Is it them being wrong or just a reaffirmation of my poor grading skills? Most likely the later.

Instead of getting my old man panties ruffled I instead try to figure out why my bubble was burst. I pay the extra $5 for imaging of each coin and usually figure out quickly why my coins got the grade they did. Did I learn something? Yes! Did I waste my money? Maybe, but it's my money

Why do I bother even submitting coins to the TPGs? There are a number of reasons. I like the NGC registry since it's a good way to organize and inventory my coins/sets. I've switched to PCGS since I like the look of their holder better.

If ICG would provide a registry service like NGC which would include ICG coins along with the big 2 I'd consider submitting my less valuable coins to them.

Beefer518 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Oh the stories I could tell. But I won’t beyond saying there’s a reason they call it the grading game.

Insider likes this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

wxcoin, posted: "Why do I bother even submitting coins to the TPGs? There are a number of reasons...."

IMHO, the #1 reason why all of you should take at least a small group of your best coins and have them graded is because of the junk that is submitted by long time "experts-in-their-own-mind" collectors! You owe it to yourself to make sure you are not throwing money down the rat hole for your "gems."

Look, the second tier services are cheap and fast. Nevertheless, for $$ you can become a member for one year at a top service and they give you a few free submissions.

wxcoin and Beefer518 like this.
  5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I use NGC and ANACS... and I pay no subscription to either... If you have an ANA membership(much cheaper then an NGC membership) you can submit to NGC for normal cost for as long as you have an ANA membership. (fill out 1 form with your ana membership number on it.) I won't pay for a PCGS membership, I used to have a local shop that handled PCGS submissions... but they gone now :(

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I would pay for one every single submission if they would let me. If you get the one with 8 vouchers and use it at the regular level it actually saves you money. Saves you even more if you sell the shirt that comes with it

wxcoin and Kevin Farley like this.
  7. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

i don't play the grading game never sent any of my coins in if i want a graded coin then i buy one

tibor and Kevin Farley like this.
  8. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Active Member

That's true. Appreciate the insight

9. Kevin Farley

Yeah that's my experience. Call me paranoid but I'm pretty sure someone there is out for me there, because the grades I've gotten on a majority of coins submitted are a notch or two below any reasonable persons range, or better yet when compared to their photogrades. The whole "their busy" argument is laughable, they're an expensive service and anything other than consistent, mostly fair grading is unacceptable and anyone saying otherwise is in the wrong. Period

Insider likes this.
  10. Kevin Farley

I couldn't agree more, and hearing people say otherwise is beyond laughable

11. Kevin Farley

Well despite only thinking I got an "ok" deal on my coin, I'm assuming you're one of those knowledgeable buyers. So I'm curious what your assessment of the coin in the pictures I attached is?

Attached Files:

12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@Kevin Farley

Did you ever get your other rare finds authenticated. Over the past year or so, you've posted the following:

1896 Proof Morgan
    1921 Zerbe or Chapman Proof Morgan dollar
    1909 VDB matte proof Lincoln
    1909SVDB Lincoln
    1966 DDO-001 Lincoln

There was quite a bit of discussion regarding these coins. Just wondering how you made out

baseball21 likes this.
  13. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Barbers are not my series, and it's hard to read the luster on a pic of a toned coin. But I'll play...I like it, looks original, old scratch under chin, grade somewhere in the mid AU range.

Kevin Farley likes this.
  14. Kevin Farley

Oh made out fine. What? You think cause a couple idiots come around and talk smack I'm supposed to be discouraged or feel foolish or something? Lol, I know how pathetic you and people like you are on here. If you had a shred of intelligence you'd be embarrassed for yourself, not worrying about how I feel

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The coin that is the topic of this thread has lost most, if not all of it's luster. The surfaces are dull. The person that cleaned the coin really did a poor job.
    I agree with the PCGS grade. It's not an AU coin.

Beefer518 and jwitten like this.
  16. Kevin Farley

Well if it's been cleaned then you're absolutely right, it's not AU. It's AU Details

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

AU requires a certain amount of luster. I'm not seeing that with this coin.

Beefer518 likes this.
  18. Kevin Farley

Like this PCGS AU55? How's the luster on this one? But that's why they call it "AU Details", because the luster has been removed

Attached Files:

19. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Since I'm an ANA member I've taken advantage of the arrangement they have with NGC and submitted coins to them in the past; I still had to pay their standard grading fees. I decided to join PCGS since they provided 8 vouchers with their membership fee. In addition, I get their magazine, and a shirt. So, basically what I paid NGC to grade 8 coins, I got 8 free vouchers, a magazine, and a shirt. Personally, I like the PCGS holders better and could find no reason not to use them.

baseball21, MIGuy and Kevin Farley like this.
  20. Kevin Farley

Hope they don't give you one. My experience has been so atrocious its resulted in a BBB complaint and grades that are so bad they make me chuckle. I have zero doubt they'll self destruct but until then I enjoy calling them and their lackeys out and watching them fold like a deck of cards under the slightest scrutiny. They think they're slick though lol. Anyway good luck to you, wish you nothing but the best grades

21. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Instead of insulting someone with a genuine question, why not just answer the question. I'm not familiar with the threads/coins referenced, but I for one would be really interested in the results on those coins from an educational point of view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.