Thalia Elizabeth and her dad visit Stack's

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by umtrr-author, Aug 14, 2008.

1. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

It was many, many years ago that my father took me to Stack's storefront in New York. While they're perhaps far better known for their auctions, they also have a presence on West 57th Street in Manhattan. Some of the items on display are quite unique, like plaster patterns for alternate designs of the Jefferson Nickel and Washington Quarter.

I carried on the tradition earlier this week when their schedule and ours finally overlapped, and I was able to bring Thalia Elizabeth for a brief visit.

I fully expected that it would be a "just looking" visit-- and there was plenty to look at!-- but as it turned out, they had some Canadian Maple Leaf bullion coins at a very reasonable price, which of course meet one of Thalia's criteria (coins with Queen Elizabeth on them).

The salesperson let her pick out the one she wanted and professionally wrote up a sales slip in her name, which she got a kick out of. I wonder if she'll start getting mailings now? :smile

I'm happy that we finally had a chance to stop by what is one of the most famous coin stores in the country, and that the folks behind the counter and even the guards were very nice to my Young Numismatist. :thumb:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy George -

Thalia must be getting quite a collection by now, post some pics one of these days - with her in them of course. Imagine I'll always remember her as looking like she did in that pic she sent me. Kinda curious to see how she's changed. And tell her I said Howdy ;)

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I can say, you would think walking into Stacks that you would expect it to be a stuffy place, with an attitude etc. I popped in there during a 3 day trip to NYC, they buzz you in, and immediately offer coffee, tea etc. inquire of your interests etc. I took up a bit of their time, and only bought a $45 book. Several years later I remember them and their great staff, now I bid on and win fairly decent auctions and am pleased still with their service.

You must have a daughter that is spoiled... just like my 4 year old, she got a roll of Morgans and Peace today in the mail... she is besides herself with all those "big" dollars.

Just watch your daughter and those auction catalogues that will soon come in the post for her... your wallet might not be deep enough for her wants:eek:

5. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

George realy nice to hear how you and Thalia were treated, if only more would follow that example :smile Please do post pics of her collection it would be great to see it :thumb:

6. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

I do need to post some pics from her collection. It's actually been pretty quiet this summer otherwise in terms of Numismatics for both of us. I also promised a list of her coins for one of my fellow coin club members, and, well, er...

I'm also behind in posting photos of her and her brother in general on our website. I'm only up to May! You're certainly welcome to visit there anytime to watch our children grow:

http://www.irwinsjournal.com/photos

Here's a shot from back in March:
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted