Thaler question and new pickups

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lincolncent, Oct 8, 2011.

1. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Went to the coin shop today and picked up the following (sorry no pics, my camera is lost permanently).
    1869-A Uraguay 1 Centesimo
    1894 Haiti 1 Cent
    1952-B France 10 Francs
    1923 France 1 Franc (Industry/Commerce)
    1916 France 10 Centimes
    1951 France 10 Francs
    1974 France 5 Francs
    1882 British Penny
    1981 El Salvador 1 Centavo

And the coin I have a question about.
    It has the same design as this coin (except for Madonna is quite a bit thinner): http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=1029231&AucID=946&Lot=895&Val=2a77c81db028ba63eef3a582d2ad7d1c

However the wording is slightly different. The side with Madonna on it is worn quite badly around the edges however the side with the shield says the following reading counter-clockwise from the top: M. THERISIA. DG. RIMP. GR. HU. BO(.?)REG 1761
    I've spent the last couple hours trying to find one with BOREG as the last 5 letters and the date on the shield side but can't seem to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
    Oh, and I paid $15 for all of that. Not too terrible imo. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The thinner Madonna with child is found on Hungarian thalers, but the shield side of the coin you referenced only came into use a few years later than the date on your coin.
    I would be very suspicious of this one.

4. ThalerKing

ThalerKing New Member

I agree with numismat that the Madonna Thaler you are describing is Hungarian. I have a couple in my collection and will reference the shield with my coins and in the book World Coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted