Thaler - German States 1863 - Silver - Assembly of Princes

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by paddyman98, May 25, 2015.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello Thaler collectors. I found this piece in an old cigar box that belonged to my dad who passed away 14 years ago. I just really started to look through all the world coins he left me and found some pretty neat items. Especially this nice Thaler from the German States. It's a Beautiful Silver "Fürstentag" Thaler Coin - Here are the specs!
    Mint Year: 1863 Mintage: 20,000 pcs.
    References: KM-372. R! Engraver: A.V. Nordheim
    Denomination: Thaler - Assembly of German Princes (Fürstentag) in Frankfurt in August 1863.
    Weight: 18.51gm Diameter: 33mm
    Material: Silver
    Obverse: Frontside vielw of the town hall of Frankfurt, with the justitia statue fountain in foreground. Signature (A.V. NORDHEIM) below.
    Comment. Soldiers (right), officials (left) and people (left of the fountain) welcoming a arriving carriage.
    Legend: FÜRSTENTAG ZU FRANKFURT AM MAIN IM AUGUST 1863 +
    Reverse: Heraldic crowned eagle of Frankfurt (City Arms) left.
    Legend: FREIE STADT FRANKFURT * EIN GEDENKTHALER *

Edge Legend: STARK IM REC

OBVthaler.jpg REVthaler.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The designer, August von Nordheim, also created the Frankfurt taler featuring Francofurtia (a personification of the city). The Bundesbank shows and explains the Fürstentag taler (in German) here. The Austrian emperor had invited the crowned heads of state from the German countries (to discuss political reforms) but Prussia basically boycotted the Fürstentag. Three years later Austria and Prussia were at war.

The depicted city hall, called Römer, and the square with the fountain in front, still look pretty much like what you see on the coin. "Stark im Recht" (strong in justice/law) was or maybe still is the city's motto.

Christian

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted