Thailand.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, Oct 12, 2011.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

My wife just said its 2548 George.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Thailand

jun21 050.jpg jun21 051.jpg

Mkman123 likes this.
  5. medoraman

They actually struck these in the early 50s. Rama VIII was never Rama in his lifetime, but named postumously by his brother rama ix. They struck these coins so everyone could have a keepsake from him.

spirityoda likes this.
  6. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I thought he was king from the age of nine... so he was Phra, which I think, given his ancestry in the family Chakri, would have made him Rama. In any case, he's the one that Bumhibol supposedly had killed, right?

And, yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't answer the question if you're in Thailand, so I'm not directing it to anyone currently in the Kingdom.

7. medoraman

He was Rama VIII, but I do not think he was coronated yet. The story was the prmie minister was trying to make Thailand a Republic and get rid of royalty there. I really do not buy any conspiracy other than that. I do not believe any coins or notes were made in the name of Rama VIII until the 1950's, struck under the reign of his brother Rama IX. I could be wrong about the notes but am pretty sure about the coins.

Yes, he was a member of the Chakri family, also known as the Bangkok dynasty of Ramas, (kings).

I need to update this thread with some of my recent purchases. I have really added quite a bit to my medieval Thai holdings lately. My modern Thai holdings as well, but those number well into the multiple hundreds by now, so I wouldn't bore the thread with those.

8. LotsofCoppers

LotsofCoppers Active Member

Can anyone help me with the year / denomination of this one? It is about 30mm & 11g.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Alegandron and spirityoda like this.
  9. medoraman

Off hand looks like a 2 Att from 1877 but I can clarify later when I get home. One and two Att were fairly common issues, with the 4 Att being very scarce. Always be careful around a 4 Att since they have been faked for a long time.

Btw, an interesting side note about this piece. Great Britain gave minting equipment to Siam, and because of this the Thais modeled the reverse on the GB penny.

10. LotsofCoppers

LotsofCoppers Active Member

Thank you! Funny you should provide that info b/c that is why I bought it! I got it in a mixed group lot on ebay with only the reverse showing. I didn't know what it was and I thought it looked like a strange British penny so I decided to buy the lot to check it out. It's a cool coin so all is well :)

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

medorama's date 1877 is a bigger coin 32mm than the later dates 30mm coin ???

Thailand catalog# (Y#23) metal-bronze
    denomination 2 ATT (1/32= 1 silo) ruler- Rama V
    cs1249(1887) values- F-$1.50 VF-$3.00 XF-$25.00 UNC-$150

date mintage values
    rs121(1902) 2,797,000 F-$1.50 VF-$3.00 XF-$40.00 UNC-$250
    rs122(1903) 2,323,000 same
    rs125(1905) _ same

hope this helped. I am not sure what date yours is ??? sorry.

12. medoraman

You are right, I think I was thinking of the non-king versions of these made a decade earlier. I will have my wife read the date on your coin LOC when I get home.

Btw, the prices seems somewhat reasonable but a touch low on f-vf, and a touch high on the higher end. IME a decent VF goes for more than $3, but a xf is only $15, but AU/BU is around $50-75. At least that is what I have seen.

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

my post was NOT to discredit you. I hope you were not offended ? I am not like that. I am certain you know way more about these Thailand coins than me. date wise ??? I have no clue. curious on my 19 th century values seems lower than the later dates. is this right my Krause 19th catalog version is 4th edition. not sure how many editions are after mine are ???

14. medoraman

No you were right. I was going from memory but it was another bronze type dated 1877, these were 1887, my error. Krause is a pretty good source for these, I use them. Krause is not so good for early Thai types. For that I use the new reference book "Siamese Coins, from Funan to the Fifth Reign".

spirityoda likes this.
  15. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

My Recent Thai Acquisitions

1975 100 BAHT.jpg 1977 150 BAHT.jpg 1980 600 BAHT.jpg 1981 600 BAHT.jpg 1978 150 BAHT.jpg

Mkman123 likes this.
  16. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Round Two

5 BAHT #2.jpg 1979 200 BAHT.jpg 1 BAHT.jpg 5 BAHT.jpg 100 BAHT.jpg

Mkman123 and spirityoda like this.
  17. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Round Three

1953 10 BAHT.jpg 1955 1 BAHT.jpg 1968 100 BAHT.jpg 1978 20 BAHT.jpg 1980 10 BAHT.jpg

Mkman123 likes this.
  18. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Last Round

1985-96 50 BAHT.jpg

Mkman123 likes this.
  19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

20. medoraman

We should compare notes Keemao. :) I have been on a pretty good buying spree lately too. Some modern silver, I got a whole book of BU 10 baht bimetallic issues, but also a whole lot of Lanna and Ayuddahya coinage. The Lanna coin in my avatar is expecting 3 buddies to arrive any day.

21. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

25 satang 1946, tin, weight - 2,6 g., size - 20,5 mm, thickness - 1,3 mm, mintage - 226348000 pcs. The single release only. Ruler: king Rama VIII (1935-1946).

Attached Files:

• 37.jpg
      37.jpg
      File size:
      67 KB
      Views:
    • 38.jpg
      38.jpg
      File size:
      61.5 KB
      Views:
    jello and Effigy303 like this.