Thai coins and currency - help ID please

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by KBBPLL, Apr 5, 2022.

1. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Any value guess also appreciated. My mother-in-law in Thailand passed away recently and there is a trove of stuff. They're trying to figure out how to split it up among three siblings. Some of this is likely very common commemorative currency. I am not there and these are the only photos I have.

15868082240227.jpg

Uncut sheet with three denominations?
    15868082982088.jpg
    15868086046791.jpg
    15868086378693.jpg
    15868086620127.jpg

Mostly curious about these I guess, whether they're really gold. Looks to be three denominations, one appears to be 1000 baht but I can't make out the other two.
    15868087842147.jpg

Here's an idea of the piles of stuff. I think I see a Rama V coin in there.
    15868088493568.jpg

Some stacks of bound old 1 and 10 baht notes.
    15868092163858.jpg
    15868092402161.jpg

MIGuy, robinjojo, Theodosius and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss:(:(really nice looking stuff though,good luck.

4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

5. Heavymetal

6. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Please show us pictures of the three gold looking pieces.

The Rama V could be extremely valuable if authentic. The dark piece below looks like a 1860's coins as well. The rest of them are thai religious medals, some of which are also very valuable but I would not have a clue about.

The paper currency I have no idea. What part of Thailand are they in? I know a good dealer in Chiang Mai that could evaluate them for you. If in Bangkok, many good dealers there.

mlov43 and KBBPLL like this.
  7. jb10000lakes

jb10000lakes Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. Gotta say, I love the triple denominations sheet with all matching serial numbers. I work at Seagate (in Minneapolis), but we have manufacturing plants in both Korat and Teparak so I interact with a lot of Thai people regularly. I'll show some of these pictures around and see if anyone has any idea. I know they take their royalty figureheads extremely seriously, so there very well may be some value there (the King died in the last couple years). Last I was over there about 9? years ago, it was about 32 baht to the dollar.

mlov43 and KBBPLL like this.
  8. Heavymetal

9. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Here are a couple more images. These are all I have for now, I'll try to get better ones when my wife wakes up :). There's another Rama V (I think) but it appears to be plated to me.

Answering some questions - this is in Bangkok area. I'm sure there are some dealers there to go to for appraisal. That's a next step I'm sure.

Yes, many of these amulets and medals are valuable in their own right. All the stuff mounted in gold (or what appears to be gold) were in the safety deposit box. There is also a room in the house packed with Buddha images large and small, many from Sukhothai and Ayutthaya eras. My father-in-law (passed 22 years ago) had an enormous collection of them.

Thai baht is still around 32 to the dollar - 33.5 today. It's been bouncing around there for a while. It was 40ish about 20 years ago.

15868089002163.jpg
    15868089253106.jpg

10. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

MIGuy likes this.
  11. jb10000lakes

Came across these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224430760936?hash=item34411da3e8:g:IKQAAOSwRIJgfNZk
    Now not 'the same' but certainly looks like a similar commemorative set.

KBBPLL likes this.
  12. jb10000lakes

If real, a lot of the Thai gold used in the jewelry is 23K, pretty soft and more yellow.

KBBPLL likes this.
  13. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Yes my wedding ring is 23k. Can't wear it; it's all bent up!

jb10000lakes likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yes true other than the US 10,14,18kt gold other countries gold is 18kt or better.
    So that would be a give away if not marked or stamped.
    So any gold items there need be examined close to determine if in fact if they are real gold.

15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

So sorry for your loss. The gold coins are very nice and worth good money. The Buddha pendants are very interesting. Probably worth good money, but I know nothing about them.

KBBPLL likes this.
  16. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip @Heavymetal. The gold coins appear to all be Queen's 60 birthday, 1500 3000 and 6000 baht, all 90% gold. NGC gives the weights so I'm posting those links; Numista has images but no weights. Very cool. I won't get any better images of any of this - it all went back into the safety deposit box for now. It's fun to play treasure hunt though.

AGW:
    0.1085oz
    https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/thailand-1500-baht-y-265-2535-cuid-1092038-duid-1531370
    AGW: 0.217oz
    https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/thailand-3000-baht-y-266-2535-cuid-1093528-duid-1531775
    AGW: 0.434oz
    https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/thailand-6000-baht-y-267-2535-cuid-1089882-duid-1530935

Thank you all for the condolences. Over the past 20+ years we had some amazing road trips all over Thailand and the US too.

MIGuy likes this.
  17. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

You got that right! This was at the Grand Palace almost a year after Rama IX died, and throngs of people dressed in black were still lined up to pay respects. Going a bit off topic...
    DSCF3165.JPG

18. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

@medoraman yes this would appear to be Rama V Baht RS127 (1908) KM-Y39, with designer name over left shoulder. It does appear to be fairly valuable, depending on grade of course and whether the bezel has damaged it. Fun stuff.

RamaV_1baht_1908.jpg

spirityoda likes this.
  19. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

There is also this one, also in a bezel. The year is on the other side so I don’t know which one it is exactly, but I’m sure this is the broader type.

20. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Thank you! That does appear to be a match, 1 Siao / ¼ Fueang - Rama V, 1875 1877 or 1883. Apparently I've been designated to catalog all the coin/currency next year on a trip over there, so this is a head start. There are also a couple of small bags filled with what looks like nickel and copper commemorative stuff.

21. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Like I said, do not overlook the religious tokens. They are actually WAY more popular and collectible in Thailand than coins. Many have tremendous value. Make sure they are also evaluated by a dealer specializing in them you trust.

My favorite way, (most fair in my mind), to divvy up an estate is to get everything appraised, then draw lots to see which order people pick. Then simply have everyone "claim" one item at a time, and the value comes off the total. For example, lets say the whole estate is worth $60k. Each person can "pick" up until the point they reach $20k appraised value then they are done. I have used it many times with my family and friends, and I believe it removes most arguments.

MIGuy and robinjojo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted