Thai Bahts

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by k9brain, Sep 28, 2009.

1. k9brain

k9brain Junior Member

I am unable to find these two on the World Coin Gallery. I would like to know more about them. Also, how much they are worth. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

If it is ~28mm, and weighs 15g, the top coin may be Y#39, a 900 silver (.434 oz. ASW) baht of the Kingdom of Siam, bearing a portrait of Rama V (Phra Maha Chulalongkorn, son of the King who was the subject of the book Anna and the King of Siam, portrayed by Yul Brunner in the musical play The King and I), who ruled from 1868-1910.

That coin is valued in the 2008 35th Ed. SCWC at $2,500 VF and $3,750 XF. Although the picture in Krause isn't really clear, there do seem to be some differences between the portraits on the pictured coin and in the catalog, and the pictured coin's color doesn't really look like tarnished silver to me.

I have been unable to find an elephant with rider reverse remotely comparable to the bottom picture.

4. k9brain

k9brain Junior Member

The reverse on second one looks like two monkeys riding the elephant. Although the one with the hat may not, it's hard to tell. It may even be a head dress on the elephant.

5. hontonai

There are no Siamese coins shown in the SCWC with an elephant being ridden.

The smaller Y#49, a 50 satang-1/2 bhat of BE2472 (1929), has an elephant facing left, which has no rider, human or animal.

After the country's name change, Y#346, a much smaller 10 baht dated BE2541 (1998), is the only coin with an elephant and rider, but the elephant is shown head-on.

Y#207, a BE2530 (1987) 2500 baht gold proof about the size of your first one, is the only Thai coin with an elephant facing left, and it has no rider.

There is nothing like your bottom coin in the 19th Century volume either.

Bottom line - your bottom coin is either a token/charm/fantasy piece, or Krause simply missed it completely - which, although unlikely, is definitely possible.

6. k9brain

k9brain Junior Member

Could these be from another country?

Is there an expert Thai/SE Asian coinage I can sent these to determine what they are?

Would a TPG be able to attribute them?

7. hontonai

I am not aware of any other country that uses the Thai alphabet. The first one is either Siamese (Thailand before 1939) or a fake Siamese coin. It is only the second one that is unatributed, and it is probably a fantasy piece. If it passes the weight test, and is not attracted to a magnet, there may be hope.
    Google is your friend.
    Possibly. The only way to find out is to submit them and pay the fees in advance, with no guarantees of success.

8. k9brain

k9brain Junior Member

top coin = 17.0 grams, 32 mm
    Bottom = 16.5 g, 31.5 mm

both non-magnetic

9. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The first might be KM Pn-25; A local issue at least similar to Y-39. This would be a 1910 issue if so.

I'd guess the second is a medal of some sort.

That these appear together may say something since they don't look like silver. The first one should be.

Do they appear to be silver in hand?

10. hontonai

What edition of the SCWC are you looking at? In my 2001 3rd Ed. 19th Century volume, Pn-25 is listed as an undated 1868 copper 1/2 baht, with an obverse showing three temples, and a reverse with a small elephant, surrounded by stars and a wreath.

The 35th Ed. 20th Century volume lists Pn53 as being an RS129 (1910) silver baht similar to Y#39. There were also much smaller French-minted 1/4 baht (E2) and 1/2 baht (E3) silver essais in RS128 (1909) and RS129 respectively.
    Me too.
    My point, exactly. Now that we know the dimensions, we know the first one is neither Y#39, Pn53, E2 or E3, so all things considered, the Chinese fantasy/forgery mills can't help being called to mind.

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I'm looking at pg 2163 of the 1986 edition.

I don't have a lot of confidence this is it and there's no picture in this edition.

12. hontonai

Interesting. Krause is known for having changed ID numbers at various times.

13. Fishfly

Fishfly Junior Member

The front of the 2nd coin reads, in part, King Chuklalongkorn. (King Rama 5)
    The reverse has 4 words. Starting at the 9 oclock position and reading clockwise...
    1st word I do not know, then 1239, 1247, 1249.

14. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

There are quite a few differences. I compared them with the GIMP and layered them on top each other to see what exactly they are. I am attaching the photos. The letters and bust are off centred, but the head is right. Sorry I can't elaborate more, gotta go to work.

P.S. Look at the nose...;)

Attached Files:

15. k9brain

k9brain Junior Member

Thanks for all the info on the coins guys, I really appreciate it.

I'll solve the mystery one day.

16. Chris2

Chris2 Junior Member

Hi,
    sorry to let you know this are all modern fantasy and fake stuff coins. You can find them everywhere in Thailand... actually it is really hard not to "bump" into this fake coins in Thailand.... mostly they are sold to tourists who have no idea about coins. If you go to a flee market you can find them by the hundreds scattered across the flee market. Near the Grand Palace in Bangkok is a Buddha Market. They sell this coins (fakes) there by the truck load!

Regards
    Chris

17. Chris2

Chris2 Junior Member

I forgot...

The first one is a 1 baht imitation and the second one is an imitation of a Thai medal....

Chris

18. pietro.rinta

pietro.rinta New Member

I have the same bottom coin with the two riding monkyes on an elefant. it is the first time I`v sen the same coin on teh net and i have been looking every where fore 8 years. As i got it as a gift from family in thailand th at he got from his father when hi was a boy. either its a fake or very rare coin. is there somebody how has solved the mystery or has any info about it i would very happy. excuse my bad English.

19. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

The top one is one of the most heavily forged Thai coins. The bottom is a fantasy issue. If you really want I can have my wife decipher the script for you. She is Thai. I see these often in Thailand when someone here I collect coins. They show me their "good" stuff.

I do not trust any coins coming out of Thailand unless I extensively research them. Way too many fakes, and I hope the Chinese will not soon do the same to US coins but I am not sure.

Chris

20. russ uk

russ uk New Member

the first coin is a fake, you will notice A PATEY, The p is the wrong way round , plus no crown on the elephants head, very common fake coin,
    second coin is a token very common in thai as a amulet,

21. suziroks

suziroks New Member

I have the MEDAL

Draft saved Draft deleted