Tetricus - Hilaritas

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Feb 27, 2015.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

As some of you are aware, I have several areas of collecting focus but a lack of ability to really focus on those areas. Every now and then I buy a coin because it calls to me for some reason and not because it falls into any collecting niche I have.

This time I have bought an Antoninianus of Tetricus I. He was emperor of the Gallic Empire from A.D. 271-274. His coins are common and generally appear on ragged flans. This one is no different, the flan is ragged and some of the obverse legend is partly off flan. What called to me on this coin was as follows:-

The condition is generally quite pleasing, the entire obverse legend is legible despite the partial loss of the AVG, the portrait is well executed in classic Gallic style and would be easily recognised as Tetricus, the reverse is intact with nice centering, full legends and a well detailed Hilaritas. So what else? There are parallel lines on the reverse, which must have been transferred from the die, these are evidence of the die preparattion and are likely the result of the die having been filed before use. Under magnification it is possible to clearly see the marks hade by the engraver when creating the palm fronds, arm etc.

In addition to all this the coin is a bit of a heavyweight though not exceptionally so. The typical weight range for coins of Tetricus seems to be in the 2.5gms to 3.8gms range. This coin measures in at 19.90 mm, 4.28 gms. I have seen a few other coins of Tetricus weighing up to 7.79gms, which are are monsters. Bland and Burnett commented that there does seem to have been an improvement in the weight standard in latter issues of Tetricus when discussing the Normanby hoard.

Tetricus I Antoninianus
    Obv:– IMP TETRICVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– HILARITAS AVGG, Hilaritas standing left, holding long branch and cornucopiae
    Minted in Mainz or Trier mint 273-274AD
    Reference:– RIC 80. Elmer 789. AGK (corr) 4c. Kamp 102.19

[​IMG]

Martin

Pishpash, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

One of the best Tetricus I coins I've seen, especially the reverse.

4. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

This coin is great and I understand why you answered its call. Not only does it have a great obverse but the reverse is completely Hileritas!:p

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats why I got mine. Thought the portrait was excellent and nearly all the legends are there. Flat spot on the reverse is the only negative to me.

What I like about yours is the die lines.

[​IMG]
    Tetricus I (271 - 274 A.D.)
    Æ Antoninianus
    O: IMP C TETRICVS P F AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: VICTORIA AVG, Victory walking left, wreath in right, palm frond in left.
    Colonia Agrippinensis (Cologne, Germany) mint, 271 A.D.
    3g
    19mm
    RIC V, part II, 139
    Ex. Heritage Auction, May 8, 2014, Lot 61194 (part of)

Bing, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I have a very heavy Tetricus from a mixed lot. It may be that two or three flans were stuck together/struck together. Weight is 6.4 gm, 3 mm thick, 17x19mm.

[​IMG]

zumbly, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  7. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Super coin Martin!!!

Bing likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I maintain that the best goal collecting is to know everything about something and something about everything. That means having a specialty collection (or several) and a general collection where you place any coin that said it wanted to follow you home. I believe you have as good a balance toward these goals as anyone I know.

I suspect all dies were filed and polished before being engraved. Lines that survived would wear away after a few strikes so your coin was probably from fresh dies. I have these on other coins (including Septimius) but not Tetricus. Finding a nice Tetricus without some strangeness is a job. Mine is shaggy and lightly clashed.
    rx2030bb2240.jpg

zumbly, Pishpash, Bing and 2 others like this.
  9. maridvnvm

Doug,
    Your Tetricus would have spoken to me too. Another distincively Gallic portrait of Tetricus, classic ragged flan but combined with full details and legends both sides, which is far from the norm for this series.
    Martin

10. maridvnvm

Incidentally I have an example of the die filing and also the engraving details in the legends on a Septimius too. It also has the remains of the legend guide circle on the reverse that we sometimes see. I really need to take some newer better images of this one. These details would soon have been lost after a few strikes

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Regards,
    Martin

zumbly, Pishpash, Bing and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted