Tetrassaria:- In English?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Topcat7, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Can someone please enlighten me on the English meaning of the word "Tetrassaria"?
    Thank-you.

I have a "Tetrassaria" of Macrinus that I am trying to 'attribute'.

Magical Snap - 2016.02.14 11.29 - 052.jpg
    Magical Snap - 2016.02.14 11.30 - 053.jpg

Johndakerftw, stevex6, Bing and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

a "4 assarion" TC.

neat coin by the way!

stevex6 likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A coin of four asses; tetra is four, assarion is one as so Tetrassaria = 4 asses

5. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Any hint for us who don't collect ancients as to the derivation of that term? Thanks,
    Steve

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice TC.

7. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Thank-you, people.

To make sure that I understand it correctly, an 'Assaria' is what I (and others) shorten to 'As', and a 'Tetrassarion' is a coin with the value of four 'Asses'? If an 'As' was a 'Dollar' this would be a $4 coin?
    Am I correct?
    P.S. Thanks for the compliments on the coin, by the way. I like it, too.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, Topcat => that OP-coin has fantastic eye-appeal (congrats on that great Macrinus)

:rolleyes:

This is my only Macrinus example ... an AR Denarius

Macrinus.jpg

Oh, and I may as well use-up this single post with more miscellaneous info regarding my assarion coins, eh?

Yup, thumbing-through my hoard, I found three cool examples identified as multiples of assaria ... a Philip-I, a Philip-II and a Gallienus ...

SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria, Philip I
    Æ 8 Assaria
    Syria Gordian Tyche.jpg

MOESIA INFERIOR, Marcianopolis. Philip II. As Caesar
    Æ Pentassarion (5 Assaria)
    Moesia Inferior Philip II.jpg

PAMPHYLIA, Side. Gallienus
    Æ 11 Assaria
    Pamphylia Gallienus.jpg

Again, Topcat => your OP-coin is all that (very tough looking addition ... great coin, congrats)

*edit* => ooops, sorry "Topcat" (I was accidentally calling you Tophat today)

:oops:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Johndakerftw, Stevearino, TIF and 2 others like this.
  9. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

You are correct except that as (plural asses) is Latin while assarion (plural assaria) is the equivalent Greek word. So a tetrassarion (singular) is a coin valued at 4 assaria.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Topcat7 likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

For non collectors who like to be confused: If there are four assaria in a Greek tetrassarion, what do we call a Roman coin of four asses? Answer: Sestertius.

Why is Lincoln on a five dollar bill instead of on a five dollars bill? Languages have rules. The first rule is they do not have to make sense. Coins of every time and place have a language of their own.

Kentucky, Stevearino, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  11. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I was blessed with what used to be called a "classical education". We studied, among other history courses, ancient history and the classical languages of Greek and Latin. I suppose that when it came to numismatics this would explain my interest in ancient, Byzantine and medieval coinage. Since it is not a matter of speaking these languages (modern Greek is as different from Ancient Greek as Italian from Latin) that they are studied it is possible for the motivated collector to study these two languages on his own and acquire a decent reading knowledge of them. For anyone who is serious about being a collector of ancients I heartily recommend trying this. It will add immeasurably to your pleasure. Fortuna te adjuvet.

dougsmit likes this.
  12. Stevearino

Right, Dougsmit. It's why I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall, but to someone else I'm 6 foot 2. Or used to be before age and gravity and surgery took their toll.
    Steve

stevex6 likes this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

exactly, Stevearino => 6 foot 2, or 74 inches ... or 1880 mm, or 188 cm, or 1.88 meters ... ummm, or 18.5 hands ... or 0.0093 furlongs ... or 1.987162e-16 light years (same as coin denominations, I suppose, eh?)

=> it depends heavily on time and place and the language of the time (kinda interesting)

Stevearino ... hmmm, I like that

Topcat7 likes this.
  14. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I have learnt a lot today. Thank-you, one-and-all.

15. Stevearino

stevex6 Yeh, my wife gave me that little term of endearment. BTW, if you're in Northern Manitoba I've probably fished in your back yard. Used to go a couple of hundred miles north of Winnipeg every spring until the demands of being a parent and making a living intruded.
    Steve

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> Hey Stevearino ... sadly, that would still be fishing in my "front-yard" for I'm currently living almost 500 miles north of Winnipeg (a 7-8 hour drive, North)

Cheers, coin-bro ... I'm sure that having an endearing wife and new family slightly outweighs those sweet northern trout, pike (Jack-fish) and pickerel (Walleyes)

17. Stevearino

stevex6 Good lord, you ARE up there! I never hear anyone down here in Minnesota refer to a Northern Pike as Jackfish, but I sure enjoyed catching some big 'uns up there, including the Cross Lake dam. PM, if you wish, to let me know what you are doing up there with the polar bears.
    Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted