Tetrarchy Folles from the London Mint

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I'm going to celebrate the removal of a moderator's post from the top position of our forum by posting a new thread :smuggrin:. For a long time I've been trying to assemble a set of four choice folles of the original tetrarchy struck at the London Mint. I recently added a follis of Diocletian and Galerius; mission accomplished :D! Pictured below is the complete set of four.

Diocletian.jpg
    Diocletian, struck AD 303 - 305, AE Nummus: 10.17 gm, 28 mm, 6 h. Reverse: Genius of the Roman people holding patera and cornucopia, modius on head. RIC 28a.

Maximian Herculius.jpg
    Maximian Herculius, struck circa AD 303, AE Nummus: 9.67 gm, 27 mm, 6 h. RIC 25.

Galerius.jpg
    Galerius as Caesar, struck AD 303 - 305, AE Nummus: 10.46 gm, 29 mm, 6 h. RIC 33.

Constantius I.jpg
    Constantius I as Caesar, struck circa AD 300, AE Nummus: 8.99 gm, 28 mm, 6 h. RIC 22.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congrats, @Al Kowsky ! Great looking coins... actually, fantastic.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Not my area of collecting. Typical me... I always assemble a ragtag, dog’s breakfast type of collection. :)

GALERIUS - biggie

[​IMG]
    RI Galerius 293-308 AE30mm Folles Ticinum mint Moneta 12g

MAXIMIANUS

[​IMG]
    RI MAXIMIANUS HERCULIUS 286-305 CE antoninianus Antioch 292-295 CE Pre-Reform CONCORDIA MILITVM Jupiter RIC V 621 H-officina 8

CONSTANTIUS CHLORUS:

Oops, not the Mongo-Size. Rather, got one when he was dead.

[​IMG]
    RI Constantius I Chlorus 293-306 CE DIVO AE Quinarius Thesalonika 317-318 Seated RIC VII 25 R5 RARE

DIOCLETIAN

[​IMG]

Diocletian
    Ӕ Quinarius.
    Rome, AD 284-305.
    IMP DIOCLETIANVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right /
    IOVI CONSERVAT AVGG, Jupiter standing left, holding thunderbolt and sceptre.
    RIC 193. 1.46g, 16mm, 12h.
    Near Very Fine, attractive sand patina. Rare.
    Ex: ROMA (their attribution)

5. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

Really nice. The portraits are all pretty much perfect. I can match the set but not the quality:

upload_2020-7-14_18-34-51.png
    Diocletian, 298-300, London, 10.65g, 26mm, GENIO POPVLI ROMANI (RIC 6a)

upload_2020-7-14_18-27-3.png
    Maximian I, 300, London, 9.4g, 26mm, GENIO POPVLI ROMANI (RIC VI 6b)

upload_2020-7-14_18-29-51.png
    Galerius (Caesar), 300-303, London, 9.56g, 29mm, GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI (RIC VI London 15)

upload_2020-7-14_18-32-41.png

Constantius I (Caesar), 300, London, 9.29g, 28mm, GENIO POPVLI ROMANI (RIC IV 14a)

Attached Files:

6. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Wonderful assortment @Al Kowsky ! The London mint produced some beautiful folles. I had my eye on a Maximian in the last Roma auction, but my bid was unsuccessful. :(

7. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

A remarkable and enviable set @Al Kowsky , I hope to match it some day.

@John Conduitt don't sell your set short. You've managed to acquire a set from an interesting time where the output is varied in style to a wide degree, with a coherent style reminiscent of the bust style used at times for Carausius and Allectus. I love the full busts of Al's coins, but I equally enjoy the small head, long neck types of yours.

John Conduitt likes this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...kool Al....i guess i'm still short a chlorus and max proper att....:)

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice tetrarchic coins @Al Kowsky - superb examples of the workmanship of the London mint.

10. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

Those all have fantastic portraits. Some celator at the London mint knew what they were doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted