Tetrarchy Folles from the London Mint

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Supporter! Supporter

I'm going to celebrate the removal of a moderator's post from the top position of our forum by posting a new thread :smuggrin:. For a long time I've been trying to assemble a set of four choice folles of the original tetrarchy struck at the London Mint. I recently added a follis of Diocletian and Galerius; mission accomplished :D! Pictured below is the complete set of four.

Diocletian.jpg
    Diocletian, struck AD 303 - 305, AE Nummus: 10.17 gm, 28 mm, 6 h. Reverse: Genius of the Roman people holding patera and cornucopia, modius on head. RIC 28a.

Maximian Herculius.jpg
    Maximian Herculius, struck circa AD 303, AE Nummus: 9.67 gm, 27 mm, 6 h. RIC 25.

Galerius.jpg
    Galerius as Caesar, struck AD 303 - 305, AE Nummus: 10.46 gm, 29 mm, 6 h. RIC 33.

Constantius I.jpg
    Constantius I as Caesar, struck circa AD 300, AE Nummus: 8.99 gm, 28 mm, 6 h. RIC 22.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE Supporter

Congrats, @Al Kowsky ! Great looking coins... actually, fantastic.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE Supporter

Not my area of collecting. Typical me... I always assemble a ragtag, dog’s breakfast type of collection. :)

GALERIUS - biggie

[​IMG]
    RI Galerius 293-308 AE30mm Folles Ticinum mint Moneta 12g

MAXIMIANUS

[​IMG]
    RI MAXIMIANUS HERCULIUS 286-305 CE antoninianus Antioch 292-295 CE Pre-Reform CONCORDIA MILITVM Jupiter RIC V 621 H-officina 8

CONSTANTIUS CHLORUS:

Oops, not the Mongo-Size. Rather, got one when he was dead.

[​IMG]
    RI Constantius I Chlorus 293-306 CE DIVO AE Quinarius Thesalonika 317-318 Seated RIC VII 25 R5 RARE

DIOCLETIAN

[​IMG]

Diocletian
    Ӕ Quinarius.
    Rome, AD 284-305.
    IMP DIOCLETIANVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right /
    IOVI CONSERVAT AVGG, Jupiter standing left, holding thunderbolt and sceptre.
    RIC 193. 1.46g, 16mm, 12h.
    Near Very Fine, attractive sand patina. Rare.
    Ex: ROMA (their attribution)

5. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

Really nice. The portraits are all pretty much perfect. I can match the set but not the quality:

upload_2020-7-14_18-34-51.png
    Diocletian, 298-300, London, 10.65g, 26mm, GENIO POPVLI ROMANI (RIC 6a)

upload_2020-7-14_18-27-3.png
    Maximian I, 300, London, 9.4g, 26mm, GENIO POPVLI ROMANI (RIC VI 6b)

upload_2020-7-14_18-29-51.png
    Galerius (Caesar), 300-303, London, 9.56g, 29mm, GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI (RIC VI London 15)

upload_2020-7-14_18-32-41.png

Constantius I (Caesar), 300, London, 9.29g, 28mm, GENIO POPVLI ROMANI (RIC IV 14a)

Attached Files:

6. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Wonderful assortment @Al Kowsky ! The London mint produced some beautiful folles. I had my eye on a Maximian in the last Roma auction, but my bid was unsuccessful. :(

7. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

A remarkable and enviable set @Al Kowsky , I hope to match it some day.

@John Conduitt don't sell your set short. You've managed to acquire a set from an interesting time where the output is varied in style to a wide degree, with a coherent style reminiscent of the bust style used at times for Carausius and Allectus. I love the full busts of Al's coins, but I equally enjoy the small head, long neck types of yours.

John Conduitt likes this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...kool Al....i guess i'm still short a chlorus and max proper att....:)

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter Amen-Ra-Hotep

Nice tetrarchic coins @Al Kowsky - superb examples of the workmanship of the London mint.

10. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Active Member

Those all have fantastic portraits. Some celator at the London mint knew what they were doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted