Featured Tetrarchal portraits and mini-theme sets

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Folles of the tetrarchy are large, common, and often in pleasing grade. Some collectors and scholars feel the portraits of the four tetrarchs of the first tetrarchy are too much alike to regard them as individualized. I must agree the stark realism seen on the early and mid third-century coins has been replaced with a different artistic convention. Also, after Diocletian's coin reform there are many mints, not all with the same style, so they cannot all have photo-realism. Long ago the acquisition of this coin made me think it would be interesting to try to find that style on that type for all four tetrarchs from that mint:

Maximian1SACRAMONETAmmAQP9117.jpg

Maximian. Look at the small face on the massive, nearly circular (spherical), head which squeezes up against the legend.
    27 mm. 9.82 grams.
    SACRA MONET AVGG ET CAESS NOSTR
    Moneta holding balance and cornucopia
    V in right field
    AQP in exergue.
    RIC VI Aquileia 31b, "c. 301". Sear IV 13300.

The above coin was acquired in 1991 and I didn't complete the mini-set until last month, so you can see I was in no hurry to get all four.

Constantius1SACRAMONETmmAQPb.jpg
    Constantius I.
    [The photo does not capture the metallic nature of the silvering.]
    28-25 mm. 9.82 grams.
    V in right field
    AQΓ in exergue.
    RIC VI Aquileia 32a "c. 301". Sear IV 14094

Galerius1SACRAMONETAmmAQG1255.jpg

Galerius, 293-305-311
    26 mm. 9.24 grams.
    V in right field
    AQΓ in exergue.
    RIC Aquileia 32b "c. 301". Sear IV 14405

And, now for the king of the hill, my recently-acquired Diocletian:

Diocletian1SACRMONETmmAQP1967.jpg

Diocletian
    27 mm. 10.04 grams.
    SACR MONET AVGG ET CAESS NOSTR
    VI in right field
    AQP in exergue
    RIC VI Aquileia 35 "c. 302-3". Sear IV 12820.

I can't say the other three duplicate the style of the Maximian that set me on the quest. Only Maximian's head is so spherical. I would not be surprised if the other three display realistic individual features. When I look at those profiles, I think I see individuals, not cookie-cutter duplicates (even if they all have beards of the same length).

The point of this post is that I regarded this set of four as a mini-theme that stayed in the back of my mind until I was able to complete it without trying too hard and paying too much.

Do you have any mini-theme sets you have completed or are working on?

BenSi, Fugio1, TheRed and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What a wonderful collection... And journey! Each coin so amazing and, agreed, different.
    I've certainly got nothing that cool to compare (in all fairness I was nine when you acquired that baby faced and fantastically patinated Maximian).
    Funny though how something that seems like a "little collection" can turn into a near 3 decade Odyssey.
    I've just put one more major piece in the puzzle for my 12 Caesars lifetime issue in silver. Gallienus jungle continues to flourish. I really had no idea just how rewarding and fun my latest obsession with Macedonian shield coins would be.
    Though I do have some mini-theme sets that aren't complete (just like all my other sets) I don't want to jinx it by mentioning them here. He said suspiciously looking over his shoulders, first left then right.

philologus_1 and Valentinian like this.
  4. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Nice coins! That last Diocletian is a stunner!

I don't really actively collect the Tetrarchy beyond my "One of each..." set, but I do gravitate toward the Carthage type... IMO a bit more exciting than the GENIO types. "The Health of the Augustii and their Caesares is the Joy of Carthage"

Diocletian

Diocletian follis carthage.jpg

Galerius Caesar (sold this one)
    Galerius as caesar follis carthage.jpg

Galerius Caesar (Kept this one - it was a tough choice!)
    Galerius Caesar follis Carthage.jpg

Maximinus II Caesar
    Maximinus ii daia follis carthage.jpg
    Severus II Caesar
    Severus ii caesar carthage.jpg

Maxentius Caesar(!)
    Maxentius caesar carthage.jpg

On close inspection, we can see some slight differences between the different Tetrarchs... But remove the legends and I could maybe only pick out Diocletian and Severus II from the lineup!

BenSi, TheRed, Spaniard and 11 others like this.
  5. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

My collection includes this same mini-theme quartet. :)

upload_2019-8-13_12-38-16.png

upload_2019-8-13_12-39-0.png
    I'm not 100.0% sure the attribution for the Galerius is correct.
    It might be RIC VI 54a which is VERY similar. :-o
    (FWIW: My example weighs 8.14 gr., and the diameter is 25x24 mm.)

TheRed, Spaniard, randygeki and 7 others like this.
  6. philologus_1

Oh, and their group photo is seen on this reverse. The four guys surely DO look alike on this example. LOL! (An unfortunate obverse gouge makes it seem Galerius is carrying a bowl on his head. Or possibly a banana.)

upload_2019-8-13_13-0-44.png
    AR Argenteus, Trier, ca.295-297AD, VICTORIA SARMAT, 3.6gr., 20mm., RIC VI 105b.

Valentinian, TheRed, Spaniard and 8 others like this.
  7. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

ominus1, zumbly and philologus_1 like this.
  8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

philologus 1, I think you can safely attribute your last follis to Galerius, AD 305 - 307. See Sear #14544.

Valentinian and philologus_1 like this.
  9. Valentinian

That's just what I was writing about. You show an excellent mini-theme. The Maxentius as Caesar is a real rarity. Congratulations!

Here are three, from two colleagues, that might fit that set:

Maximian1SALVISAVGGETCEASSFELKART08123.jpg
    Maximian, same type.

Maximian1SALVISAVGGETCAESSAVCTAKART9837.jpg

Maximian, almost the same type, but with the rare "AVCTA KART" in place of "FEL KART".

Constantius1SALVISAVGGETCAESSFELFART0086.jpg

Constantius I, same type.

We have, between us, all but one of the emperors who issued it, I think. RIC has the type also for Constantine.

Does anyone have this type from Carthage for Constantine?

TheRed, Spaniard, randygeki and 4 others like this.
  10. philologus_1

Thanks greatly for your time to research that, and for sharing your knowledge! :)

11. Al Kowsky

Valentinian, Excellent thread with four beautiful folles ;)! I've been a fan of the large size folles for a long time & have managed to add some nice ones to my collection. You're right about the style change from realism to the Asian style that is impersonal & very uniform from person to person. The human being has been transformed into a cold, stern, god-like figure. However, on rare occasions you can still see a realistic portrait on a large follis. The 1st coin below, from the London Mint, has a very realistic portrait of Maximian. The coin below it is a typical Asian style portrait of Maximian from the Cyzicus Mint.

London, RIC 022, struck 303 CE, obv..jpg London, RIC 022, struck 303 CE, rev..jpg
    Maximian, Struck circa AD 303, Billon follis: 9.67 gm, 28 mm. RIC 25.

IMG_1396 - Copy.jpg

Maximian, Struck AD 295 - 299, Cyzicus Mint, 1st Officina, 9.24 gm.

12. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Very nice coins Valentinian!....And lots of great coins being shown..
    I'm working on the East / West Tetrachy sets but still have a long way to go...

Galerius Maximianus as Caesar AE Follis minted 297 AD. 11,46 g. 25 mm.
    Obv: GAL VAL MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES. Laureate Head right
    Rev: GENIO POPVLI ROMANI/ (crescent)/ D// ANT. Genius standing left, holding cornucopiae and patera.
    RIC VI 49b Antioch
    From an old collection formed in the 1920s. Ex Münzhandlung Kallai, Vienna.
    1-normal_galnew_together.jpg

Galeria Valeria AD 305-311, AE follis of Thessalonica. 27.63mm/ 5.79 grams
    Obverse > GAL VALE-RIA AVG, Diademed bust facing, head right, hair weaved in rows and curled around side of head at base of neck, wearing embroidered robes with two necklaces.
    Reverse > VENERI V-ICTRICI,Venus standing facing, head left, apple in uplifted right hand, raising drapery over left shoulder with left hand. Star in left field,Gamma in right field.
    Mintmark > dot SM dot TS dot. RIC VI #36 Thessalonica ; Officina 3, AD December 308- May 310.
    1-GALVALTOGETHER.jpg
    Maxentius AE Follis, Rome. AD 306-312...23/25mm diameter..6.92gr
    Obverse..IMP C MAXENTIVS PF AVG, laureate head right.
    Reverse..CONSERV VRB SVAE, Roma seated front, head left, shield at her side, within hexastyle temple, holding globe and sceptre, wreath in pediment, knobs as acroteria.
    Mintmark RBS. RIC VI Rome 210; Sear 14987.
    1-normal_MAX_TOGETHHER.jpg
    1-normal_MAXIMINUS_II_DAIA (1).jpg

BenSi, Valentinian, TheRed and 3 others like this.
  13. Al Kowsky

Valentinian, One mini theme I've been trying to complete for a long time is high grade examples from the Lyon Mint, of all four members of the Tetrarchy with portraits in military garb holding spears & facing left. One example has alluded me, of Maximian :mad:. All examples of this type seem to share a common reverse type of Genius sacrificing over an altar. See photos below.

IMG_1382.jpg Diocletian
    IMG_1425.jpg Constantius as Caesar
    IMG_1591 (2).jpg Galerius as Caesar
    IMG_2341 (2).JPG

Valentinian, TheRed, zumbly and 6 others like this.
  14. philologus_1

Wowsers!!! That's a gorgeous trio!

I hope Mr. Marcus Aurelius Valerius Maximianus Herculius Augustus finds his way to you soon with his head turned leftward -- and priced well within your budget!

15. Al Kowsky

Thanks philolgus 1, I bought those 3 coins a long time ago & they weren't bargain priced then :smuggrin:. Today I've got to compete with many more collectors who have an eye for these nice looking folles :rolleyes:.

philologus_1 likes this.
  16. Valentinian

Maximian1GPRmmPLGleft02163.jpg

Maximian
    Lugdunum = Lyons
    28 mm. 10.16 grams.
    IMP MAXIMIANVS AVG
    altar left, A right
    PLG in exergue
    RIC Lyon 113b "c.301-303"

17. Al Kowsky

Lovely patina on that coin :cool:! If Maximian was holding a spear I'd try and swindle the coin from you :shifty:.

18. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

An interesting theme (mini series) for sure even though portraits at this period are less representative of the human being himself and more of the "persona"

Diocletian, Alexandria :
    [​IMG]

Maximianus, Aquilea :
    [​IMG]

Constantius, Trier :
    [​IMG]

Galerius, Heraclea :
    [​IMG]

As to "mini sets" I've been working on, there are two that I achieved

All denarii minted in the name of Plautilla, either at Rome mint or at Laodicaea (and including a drachm from Caesarea Cappadoccia)

[​IMG]

And the Divi series minted by Trajan Decius in honor of the "ggod ol' emperors of the past" : https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancients-trajan-decius-the-divi-series.296342/

[​IMG]

Q

Curtis, Fugio1, Valentinian and 6 others like this.
  19. Valentinian

I gave that post a "like" long ago, but looking at it again I think it is worth more that just a "like". Congratulations! Those are beautiful sets, thoughtfully (and, I bet, patiently) acquired.

Cucumbor and Curtis like this.
  20. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I love @Cucumbor 's two set photos, really beautiful to see them laid out like that!

Interesting that this post about "sets" has been revived now: I've just completed a set of my own and have been reflecting on it.

This sub-collection focuses on the BCD Collection of Greek coins. I'm interested in "object biography" (e.g., plate coins & provenance) & the history of numismatics.

My main goal (I have others here) was to acquire a coin from each of the 10 major auctions of the BCD Collection:

BCD Collection Set 10 Coins Plus Catalogs.jpg
    (My Annotated Biblio page about the BCD Collection; @Valentinian also has valuable pages on BCD catalogs, including this one.)

Background: BCD formed possibly the largest-ever & most important private collection of coins of Central Greece (and the world's greatest priv. library of Greek coins).

The 10 major catalogs are named for different region(s), and all serve as important references now.

I have ~100 ex-BCD coins in my collection, but about 75 or 80 came from duplicate or secondary sales.

I also have many old catalogs from the annual BCD Library Duplicates sales. The ones shown above include coins now in my collection. The images are pixelated, but two are addressed to dealers Malter & H. Christensen.

Once I really started, it only took me 3-4 years to finish this set, which isn't very long. But I'm sure I'll keep adding to it.

I love Greek AR fractions, so this one is a favorite (also ex Lambros, Jameson, Hirsch Estate, J. Gilman), but came from a "duplicate" sale:
    Jameson 1081a Thessaly Obol BCD Collection Transparent.png
    Thessaly Heraclea Obol BCD Tags 1 + 2 + 3.png

And I love Roman Provincials (really, all ancient coins), so these Thessalian Nero's are favorites (both from CNG EA 325, “Coinage of the Thessalian League from the BCD Collection,” a great supplement to BCD Thess.):

BCD_Nero_Thessaly_Koinon_Apollo_Lyre-Kithara_Bronze_ex-CNG_e-490__e-325-removebg-preview.png
    RPC 1439.25
    BCD Nero Thessaly Koinon Taurokathapsia Bronze ex-CNG EA 493.jpg
    RPC 1440.7

Gosh -- there are a LOT more I'd like to post!!

Interestingly, I've found it harder to gather all 10 of the BCD Collection sale catalogs!

I still don't have the Muenzen & Medaillen GmbH 23 catalog (Akarnania) or NAC 55 (Lokris-Phokis). NAC 55 is available in PDF (ACSearch misses the essays), so I've been using that.

My Triton XV (Thess. II) & Triton IX (Boiotia) are ex David Hendin's personal library duplicates (he sells his unwanted catalogs on ebay). I enjoy knowing my literature was also physically connected to the history of numismatics.

Draft saved Draft deleted