Tetradrachm originality?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gogili1977, Oct 2, 2018.

1. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

I would ask you to help me with the originality of this tetradrachm and its aproximative value. Weight 17 gr. Thanks.
    KP Sinisa 150 eur AB.jpg

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The style, wear, and weight seem appropriate for a "New style" Athenian tet. It appears to be overstruck on a different tetradrachm. My gut is telling me Thasos, but will have to play with the lines on the obverse when I get to a computer.

4. This is a Thasos Tetradrachm, if you aren't familiar. They were concurrent styles. I've seen a Thasos on New Style Athens, but not a New Style on Thasos. There are recorded hoards with both types buried together; so the idea is realistic.
    Thasos Tetradrachm 2.png

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Johndakerftw and gogili1977 like this.
  5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Looks OK to me, weakly struck obverse is common for these Tets, I dont see an overstruck. I paid 200 euro for mine:

P1150112.JPG

6. gogili1977

I'm not familiar at all with greek tetradrachms, but this one is offered to me for 150 eur. So, I'm considering whether to buy it.

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looking through ACsearch, 150 EUR seems to be a fair price for this particular coin. Not a great price, but a fair price for both you and the seller. It looks like there has been a run on lower grade "new style" Athens tets recently. Here are sixteen from the last few months. The coin you are considering has a nicer reverse than most of these.

CT-ACsearch-CheapNewStyleTets.jpg

I see nothing wrong with buying that coin for 150 EUR but if you are patient and pay just a little more you'll find one with a better obverse.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

gogili1977, spend a little more money & get a better example. The example you're pondering is struck on a small flan with lots of wear. These are common coins so don't be impatient.

Andres2 likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have a bad attitude to these where the letter on the amphora has worn away. I always wanted one with the letter intact that my coins are lacking.
    I paid $180 for this first one over 30 years ago. That was too much then. Now?
    g41320bb0360.jpg
    This one was $130 even before that. This is a case where prices have not gone up all that much over time. There were dealers who sold high then as there are now.

g41330bb0079.jpg

10. gogili1977

Thanks to everyone, I will try to negotiate the price or I will give up. You have nice specimens.

Draft saved Draft deleted