Terrible service from the U.S. Mint

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmilton, May 5, 2021.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

On April 27, I received an email that said that my order for a 2021 silver Proof set had been shipped. There was an order number given. When I pressed it, my computer came back with a mostly blank page that said “Internal Error. The servicer cannot respond this request”. Okay I have had stuff “on the cart” before that had not gone to post office.

It is now May 5. I am getting the same message. My credit card has been billed. I tried to call the U.S. mint, but their message is, “You will have to wait more than 15 minutes for a representative.”

They have a live chat system. I wrote a message for that. After a few minutes I get, “There are no operators available. Good bye.”

If a private sector company acted like this, they would go out of business for poor service. Since the mint has a monopoly, they can get away with it.

The current Mint Director, who is responsible for this should be fired. I have already said that he is “collector hostile” when it comes to collector relations. The only people he cares about are dealers who get sweetheart deals so that they can control the market and make money.

I missed my chance to take a survey during one of my mint log-ins. They won’t listen, but at least I could have vented my frustrations with them.

john65999, capthank, wxcoin and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:troll: DIG #1: I thought you were describing the customer service at a top TPGS! :D

Do you own a speaker phone? I often call credit card services, banks, etc. because I wish to speak with a person. I get in the queue and grab a book or play on the computer while I wait.

john65999, wxcoin, Hookman and 7 others like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Having to wait for customer service is completely standard across all industries

john65999, GoldFinger1969 and Insider like this.
  5. William F

William F Well-Known Member

15 minutes for wait time is not bad when dealing with a giant company like the US Mint, I was on hold with my bank's local branch and I was on hold for 32 minutes before I got to talk to a rep... :rolleyes:

6. johnmilton

After I waited, I got nothing. They don't know what is going on.

I had ordered an expensive commemorative coin set as well. It was on back order, which I knew would happen, but since they can't deliver the $109 item, why would I trust them to deliver the $800 item?

UncleScroge and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Patience is a virtue

8. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I also received on the 27 the notice mine had shipped. I got it today.

Histman likes this.
  9. johnmilton

Did your order number link ever work? Mine didn't.

10. johnmilton

I did that. I barely have a speaker phone, but I was able to set the receiver down after I got the little thing going. It has a very quiet voice.

Insider likes this.
  11. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

I don't know which one is worse, the mint or pcgs. Both of them have lousy customer service, I had an enrollment for the 2021 W proofs and got the notice about a half hour after they went on sale that they had canceled it.

12. baseball21

Neither really has bad customer service, there’s just only so many people they can handle in a day and there’s far more calls than they can take. Bad customer service is when you get in touch and they just blow you off

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Except those calls from over seas where someone has noticed my vehicle warranty has expired. They pick right up when I press 2 to mess with them....:D

capthank, wxcoin, Hookman and 7 others like this.
  14. baseball21

Haha or the ones trying to sell vacations

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sorry you are having problems with them but I hear this all the time from many other mint customers. Hopefully you will get your order in the near future. If not, call your credit card company and have them reverse the charges.

johnmilton likes this.
  16. johnmilton

This shows that you can go through all the grief of logging in and ordering an item and still not get it. The Law Enforcement commemorative set looking interesting, but after this, I told them to cancel.

17. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I don't usually fill out surveys. But, I got the most recent one from the mint. They will take me off the mailing list for surveys. Understand, surveys are another marketing ploy. They allow the business to pretend that they care. I working in Quality Management most of my life. Surveys don't mean much since management is only playing along with the game.

love old coins and johnmilton like this.
  18. johnmilton

Yep, senior management only cares when their jobs are on the line. Then they look for golden parachutes.

19. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Some pay attention sir. We survey both employees and customers every year, and upper management has to respond to scores and items brought up to the Board to their satisfaction. It can be done effectively if a firm wishes to.

20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Aw come on. Not all of us are that way. I try to keep both happy employees and customers. Sometimes they might be unhappy due to things I cannot share with them, but I do consider it.

I must be doing it wrong, my parachute is not golden, but lead.

21. johnmilton

Most of them don’t wish to respond; it’s all PR. The current mint director is an obvious example. He has a total tin ear.

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted