Terminology....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dug13, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

I was reading a seller’s description of a holdered 10 dollar Indian Eagle, and it stated “Nice luster and appeal, a few light hairlines”.
    Is the term “hairlines” just another way to say it was cleaned at some point?
    (It is straight graded by PCGS).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Hairlines are often the result of a polished die. If the coin were straight graded I would suspect die polishing. It is just something the mint does to extend the life of a die.

Penna_Boy likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Die polish lines will be raised on the coin. Hairlines are the result of something rubbing the coin. Many things can cause it, including a cleaning. A few light hairlines won't keep a coin from straight grading but can effect the grade. Too many hairlines can result in a details grade.

The amount of hairlines on proof coins has a big impact on the grade.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Nope, they aren't. Larry partially explained this above but he forgot to mention one important detail - die polish lines are raised on the coin, but hairlines are incuse - that's the primary difference between them and how one can tell one from the other.

Another thing I'd mention is that hairlines on a coin are way beyond common. I'd even go so far as to say that at least some are found on coins far more often than not. The reason for this is simple, it's because virtually any contact, by anything, with the surface of a coin can and will produce hairlines on the coin.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Hairlines are NOT die polish lines and polish lines do not cause hairlines.

Hairlines can be caused by improper cleaning, but hairlines can also be created on a Unc coin simply by it having been carried in a pocket.

johnmilton likes this.
  7. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the info! We are all at different rungs on the ladder of numismatic knowledge, I appreciate the help, getting me up another step.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Something rare are hub polish lines. These show up as raiaed lines on the die, so are incuse on the coin. Hubs haven't been polished that way for a long time. The only way to tell they aren't hairlines is by seeing luster through them. I've only seen them once. It explained why it was straight graded.

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Not all hairlines are caused by clearing. They are thin marks that can be caused by simple wear. For example a coin might be slid across a counter. They can lower the grade, but they don’t necessarily take the coin to a “details grade” or make it uncollectable.

Draft saved Draft deleted