Ten Dollar Coin In A Fifty Dollar Holder

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Old Error Guy, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

As I build my error type set, I try to have a good certified example of each type. Obviously, it does not make sense for me to send in low value coins, so I keep a look out on eBay for cheap certified examples. Here's a recent pick up that I really like. At one time, these were known as Black Beauties. Actually it's a seriously attractive coin and the color in the picture is pretty accurate.

Improperly Annealed 1.JPG Improperly Annealed 2.JPG

I would love to see other examples of certified coins where the TPG services cost dfar more than the coins value.

Collect89 and Seattlite86 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I've got one for you. This was a gift from a friend of mine.

Attached Files:

Old Error Guy likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

That's a very nice looking coin. I wouldn't mind having that slab one bit. :)

5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Think I only own one "certified" error coin. Couldn't resist as the price was right...
    375832_slab.jpg

6. Seattlite86

This one is actually worth a bit; I'm not sure it qualifies for this thread, but I love error coins so I won't complain.

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Why would you say that this is a $50 holder since it could have been submitted at the $15 Modern Tier level with the $15 error fee?

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I bought this coin in the slab. It is certainly not an error that an error coin collector would normally bother slabbing.
    IMG_7443.JPG

OK, it probably only cost the guy $10 plus postage but it is still not an error that requires slabbing IMO.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Seattlite86

Agreed, I have a couple of these without slabs. Fun error

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Plus shipping and insurance both ways. And isn't there a per invoice fee, or is that only with PCGS?

Draft saved Draft deleted