TEMPTED WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BALD SPARTAN, Apr 19, 2015.

1. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't collect the series. Is that price reasonable for the grade?

Chris

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice one, if you need it, go for it

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

At auction, you can get these for around $75 in mid AU, but not in the old green holder. That's probably why he's asking the premium.

dwhiz likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Beautiful coin, but still just another flat headed SLQ for over a bill. I'd pass, for that price. nono.gif

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The spread on these isn't that bad. You can find MS64's for about $275. If I was willing to spend $105 for an AU55, I'd save another $170 and spring for the MS64 instead!

8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Type III.
    Seller seems fine.
    For that grade, especially since there's S&H, I think the price is a slight bit high.
    But I question the grade:
    -- not a lot of handling marks (good)
    -- flat head and flat right leg; strike too soft (ugh)

Pass.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Collectors have believed for many, many years that PCGS coins in the OGH were under-graded. Unfortunately, most of those worthy of upgrade have already been submitted. If this is the only basis for the seller's valuation, then I'd pass.

Chris

Coinchemistry 2012, green18 and dwhiz like this.
  10. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Newbe here, I've looked at several sites, including USA Coin Book. They show a price of $186 for an AU50. When you look on other sites it is prizing how all over the board the same coin is valued, from $80 to $200. The question begs, what is the place to look for correct grades and values ?

11. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

recent completed auctions

bear32211 likes this.
  12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Have a look at PCGS coinfacts, the seller asks exactly the price for a 58 coin:
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/5774/55?redir=t
    I'd compare it to other SLQs in the AU range and would then decide for myself if it's worth the premium or not.
    Note: completed auctions are also listed in coinfacts - in AU55 the prices range from $57 to $118 and go up to $159 in AU58

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    bear32211 likes this.
  13. Del Ihle

Del Ihle Member

I agree with C-B-D. Save a little more and go for a MS63/64. There is much more upside potential with the better grade. The coin you are showing has some eye appeal, but as someone said, it's still a flat headed SLQ with a slightly worm right leg. The old holder adds nothing to the coin's value.

JPeace$ and Coinchemistry 2012 like this.
  14. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

The first thing I do when considering a PCGS graded coin, I go to there web site and check out the cert. number.
    This one shows a list price of $80 and 89 graded at this level.
    Also a dealer is not likely to buy this at a Higher price because it's in an older slab.

bear32211 likes this.
  15. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I agree. PASS.

Del Ihle likes this.
  16. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I agree that the seller is probably asking a premium for the holder rather than the coin. The coin is fine, but not outstanding in any way.

In spite of the oft repeated advice to "buy the coin and not the holder," a lot of sellers try to sell the holder. I recently did a search for nicely toned Mercury dimes, and I found one with really pleasing but not "WOW!" toning. Unfortunately, it was in a PCGS doily holder and the seller was asking well over 3x what any price guide I could find said.

I certainly would have been willing to pay a good premium for that coin, but not a 200% premium. Maybe we should also admonish sellers to "sell the coin, not the holder," as well. :angelic:

Del Ihle and bear32211 like this.
  17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

It's priced at full retail, and it's nothing more than an AU55. Don't be seduced by the "old holder" hype. It is almost always meaningless.

Del Ihle likes this.
  18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I agree with the crowd here: pass

The coin is nothing special. For recent auction prices use both eBay's and Heritage Auctions info.

It's always easy to give advice, but before offering any, what are your specifics:
    1) Why do you want the coin? Type set or are you collecting the series?
    2) What is your budget per coin?

IMO you can do better both price wise and condition for this date and mm. Be patient and you'll get the coin you want at a decent price.

Del Ihle likes this.
  19. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Yup!

20. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Grey sheet is $60 for AU

Draft saved Draft deleted