Temple from Tyre

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, May 17, 2020.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Here's another addition of a coin struck at Tyre under Elagabalus. The reverse shows a hexastyle temple including the statue of Astarte raising her right hand on a trophy, and being crowned by Nike who is standing on a column. Altar between palm tree right and Murex shell left in exergue. The coin weighs 12.27 g. BMC 404. Please feel free to post any temple from Phoenicia.

ElgTemp O.JPG ElgTpm R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very kool Charles...AA will love that! :)

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very cool, @7Calbrey ! That's a scarce one. This is the closest thing to a Phoenician temple in my collection:

[​IMG]
    Julia Soaemias, AD 218-222.
    Roman Provincial AE 21.4 mm, 12.48 g.
    Samaria, Sebaste, AD 218-222.
    Obv: SVΛEMIΛS ΛV[GVSTΛ] SEB, bare-headed and draped bust, r.
    Rev: COL• L• SE• [SEB• ASTE•], temple of the Capitoline Jupiter with four columns; Jupiter standing in center between Athena and Hera. Wreath within pediment.
    Ref: Rosenberger 36 (die match); Price & Trell 786; SNG ANS 1083.

5. svessien

svessien Senior Member

8B6538D1-3256-4F84-97DE-A0F01AFFBC06.jpeg

Well, if this isn’t a temple from Phoenicia, I don’t know what is!

On a more serious note, this is me in Tyre back in 2005, at a bed & breakfast built on a ruin from the time of the crusaders. The first floor was pretty much in original shape from the 12th century, and if you looked in the water outside, you could see parts of old columns and building materials from better days.
    Tyre must be the most fascinating city I’ve ever visited, although it is very poor, destroyed by war and conflict, and the cultural heritage has not been looked after, like in Byblos and Tripoli in the north.
    In Tyre, people walk casually around ancient ruins, among others a temple (perhaps your temple?), and a large hippodrome that must have been impressive in its time. Few things are fenced in, and even fewer things are looked after, but the people of Tyre and southern Lebanon are proud of their heritage. You will easily find someone who can tell you something about the local sights.
    I went there in 2003, -04 and -05. In 2006 there was the conflict with Israel, and I haven’t visited since. But I would love to.

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coin @7Calbrey. I need to pick up a coin of Tyre and also some of the cities of the Decapolis.

7. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for your cheerful and encouraging comments. Hope to post more coins as soon as I can. With COVID-19, we're piling more coins here.

svessien likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice nice AE, @7Calbrey ...

I have very few temples, as I really do not collect architecture consciously.

Here are my only Tyre coins:

upload_2020-5-17_20-33-45.png
    Tyre 1-16 shekel 10mm 0.47g hippocamp l over waves - owl with crook flail Sear Greek 5916.BMC Tyre 43 5th-4th BCE
    Ex: @Valentinian

upload_2020-5-17_20-34-30.png
    PHOENICIA TYRE AE20 7g 76 BCE Turret hd Tyche palm branch - Galley prow volute aphlaston at stern Phoenican letters BMC 26
    Ex: @Bing

9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I have to give it to you Charles you do seem to come up with some great architectual coins and this is no exception. 391_270_lot12 (1).jpg
    Phoenicia. Tripolis. Elagabalus 218-222 A.D. AE 23 mm. Dated year {CY 533}, 221-222 A.D. Astarte standing in temple.

Draft saved Draft deleted