Tell me the story behind your best purchase (PRIZE)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by MMiller750, Sep 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I have a story involving a very similar looking 1806 half (albeit a holey), that a friend bought off my old Holey Coin Vest (of avatar fame).

It later turned out to be the O-129 discovery coin.

This does not count as an entry in the contest, because in that particular deal, I was the cherrypick-ee instead of the cherrypick-er. Sometimes you're the bug, and other times you're the windshield.

It all balances out. To quote Journey, the Wheel In The Sky keeps on turnin'.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Years and years ago, I was at a small coin show. It had been a long day and I was on my way out the door. Something made me stop at one last table and the dealer ask if I was looking for anything special. I told him Matte Lincolns. He says no but that he just got a box of nice MS Lincolns. It was a single row 2X2 box with each coin in a tiny cello sleeve and in a 2x2 envelope. There were over a hundred Lincolns. Half from the 30s and the other half from the 40s.

I looked at just a few and ask the dealer what he wanted for the whole box. He didn't expect that but shot out a price just over $200. We were both happy and I was out the door.

Once at home, I started taking a strong look at each coin. Someone had taken a lot of time to put this box together. Almost ever coin was MS-65 or better. I named it the box of gems.

I pulled out 56 coins and sent them to PCGS. 25 coins from the 30s and 31 from the 40s. I only wanted to send in those that would grade 66 or better. This was the results. This was a once in a lifetime deal for me. I still have the rest of the coins.

1- MS64
    7- MS65
    46- MS66
    2- MS67

4. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

Winner will be chosen 10/10!
    With how many great stories I have read there may be even more than 1 winner, it will be a hard time picking.

5. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

There were many good entries, it took me quite awhile but I narrowed it down to 4, then somehow managed to pick my favorite two of them. I read and re-read them and just couldn't decide which I liked more, so I will make them both winners.
    Congrats to Evan8 and ldhair! Please message me your addresses and the top 5 series that you like and I will see what I can do.
    I want to thank everyone who participated and I really enjoyed reading all of the responses.

6. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Congrats, y'all.

And @MMiller750 - thanks for the contest.

8. love coins

love coins Junior Member

Thank You for contest it was very interesting to see all the stories!

9. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

About 25 or so years ago when I was a gun dealer, I was set up at the Dallas Market Hall gun show. In my rack was a British No. 1 Mk III from London Small Arms, a factory that only produce during part off WW I. I was quite proud of it and had it priced so. An older dude came in, gave it a good looking over, and said "I'll give you $5 for it." Before I could say any thing (shock had me slowed down) he dropped a US 1885 S AU gold piece on my table. I made up the sales tax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.