Tell me about Standing Liberty Quarters

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LA_Geezer, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

Randy, you still need the gold nickel, dime and half dollar to go with that lonely quarter you know....just sayin ... o_O

LA_Geezer and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

You knew that today was my Christmas bonus day, didn't you???;)

Taurus57 likes this.
  4. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

Perfect timing!

I'm sure the premiums are ridiculous ... but what a set it would be. It's nice to dream.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

OK, so in the next few weeks I'll be receiving my annual required IRA distributions. Generally, I've been saving 95% of what I have to take, putting that into short-term investments with my wife as co-owner and leave 5% to fritter away.

I don't think I'll go all out for the set as @Taurus57 recommends to @Randy Abercrombie, but I have been eying the 2016 gold SLQ, and would like to know if those that have been put into the Slabs are worth paying more for over those that come in the original mint box with COA. Since this could suffice for my interest in having an example of the original SLQ design, I could alleviate all hand-wringing over that type.

As for the 1920 and 1924 coins, I've been looking these over, and find that the above advice about very nice coins at reasonable prices is very true and helpful. I expect that I'll come to the decision to search out these two dates in the $200 range. If I stumble along the way, I might post seller photos here and ask for advice. MANY beautiful SLQs in all the photos posted, thanks.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

The value of having one slabbed is not something I can speak to. I will say that while the government packaging is attractive, it is also quite bulky and takes up more than its fair share of space in my safe. If storage is an issue, a slabbed coin would be far more practical.

7. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

LOL...I was just teasing Randy about the gold set. I really don't expect him to follow through with it, do I? :wideyed:

US Mint packaging does take up a lot of storage space and a slab would fit nicely into a box of 20 if you're into that kind of thing.

LA_Geezer and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Off the top of my head, 1919 D and S, 1921, 1923 S, and 1927 S are the tough ones.

9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Always liked them. Need 3 for my type set. Just haven’t found the ones. Want a nailed strikeand interesting color. The ones @Lehigh96 posted would fit the bill nicely

10. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

One of my favorite reverses of any series. This was a recent pickup the reverse sold it for me

[​IMG]

WLH22, LA_Geezer, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  11. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

... and fantasy overstrikes (O/S) for 1915 and 1922.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nowadays these beauties are rarely for sale. Anyway, for similar money, you can find a nice 1920 or 1924 SLQ.

LA_Geezer and dwhiz like this.
  12. LA_Geezer

Actually, after a very long period, I began trifling with coins again about five years ago. I bought a silver dollar from an ebay seller that, to my surprise, arrived in a slab. I emailed him to ask how I got the coin out of that hard plastic case without damaging either the case or the coin. It was then that I got my introduction to slabs.

It remains my only slabbed coin, but, you are right, I could put a rubber band around it and the two or three slabbed SLQs I might buy to make a tidy small package! Thanx.

13. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

You should collect coin(s) using whatever methods fits your style whether that be slabbed coins or not. There are many fine plastic holders in these times that will protect a purchased raw coin very well provided the coins and their holders are not subjected to environmental extremes.

When I mentioned a "Box of 20" I was referring to the link below but that is not the only way to collect.

http://news.coinupdate.com/the-box-of-20-collecting-method/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    LA_Geezer likes this.
  14. LA_Geezer

15. LA_Geezer

Thank you @Taurus57. I wonder if anyone would care to comment on this one. The seller confirms that the scratches on the front are wear on the slab from a long period of storage. [​IMG]

16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

A slightly different approach to collecting SLQ's, I have been building a set in an old Library of Coins album (with the clear slides) from coins ranging from F to XF. (Not including the really high priced ones). Finding a decent 19-D in F was VERY hard. 27S was easier. Don't have the 21 and 23S yet. And I have a nice MS 17 T1, will probably get MS examples of the other 2 types as well.

LA_Geezer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted