Tell me about assessing early Walking Liberty Halves

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LA_Geezer, Oct 3, 2017.

1. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

VF30 ?? cleaned...I'd pay $32 for it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

I'm with the majority here thinking #2 is far superior to the obviously cleaned #1. I completed a set several years ago. The more recent dates were taken from some 90% junk bags so the cost was whatever the bags cost me. Most of those are F-EF. The older dates are G-F. The entire set cost me about $1500 give or take. At the time I was trying to complete many series and didn't really have the resources to buy quality. Looking back I should of focused on better grade examples and concentrated on one or two series. Woulda, coulda, shoulda: my middle name. :rolleyes:

4. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

avoiding cleaned coins is the toughest part as a lot of rejects from the TPG's will be found on the raw market. The second 34-d looks better to me, the first one looks dipped out/cleaned.

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If you're putting an album together, I'd strongly suggest that you stay far away from cleaned coins, they stand out like a sore thumb when next to non cleaned examples. I made that mistake when I put together a set of WLHs in the early nineties and could never overlook it. I eventually put together another set later on costing me much more to complete a WLH set than it should have. I hadn't looked at the prices that these have been going for lately and I'm pretty surprised by the way that they've risen since I put my set together. I'm sure glad that I built mine when I did.

And I like number two of the ones that you posted.

6. definitely coin number 2 just finished a similar collection a few months ago i don't know if you are
    familiar with usacoinbook..com but i was able to find
    multiple coins from single seller and got some good deals good luck

7. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

The OP was "Tell me about assessing early WLH's" and so far, it seems, all we have done is talk about cleaned vs not cleaned. What about strike (especially the 1919 D), luster and availability? Best to all of you Walker hounds.

8. Oldsmoky62

Oldsmoky62 Member

Here is a photo of my 1919 D walked long way to find that Walker. Saler new what he had new it's value and new I wanted it I grade it VF 20 price of nicer looking coins get ugly quickly so I think I hit price brake rite. Photo made using I phone can anyone speak to strike using photo image.jpg image.jpg i

LA_Geezer likes this.
  9. ksparrow

Nice looking vf walker, Oldsmoky62!

10. Oldsmoky62

Oldsmoky62 Member

Thanks ksparrow I was hoping someone would talk about its strike an I could learn something

11. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

As you can well guess, WLHs this old rarely have this much detail. Would you please comment on this (cleaned) coin? Seller describes it as have "Rev Damage" but I guess I don't know what to look for. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I hope I can find one this nice... what about the 1920 I posted yesterday?

13. Oldsmoky62

Oldsmoky62 Member

Hi your 1920 wlh is a beauty wood easily fit in my collection. Maybe EF 40 details on coin are great hard to find on any early date wlh I'm no expert on anything but no what I like and I like this coin. As to dent? On reverse my guess is as good as yours

14. ksparrow

Well, strike (in terms of grading) is only important in mint state coins. In circulated coins it can affect value to collectors who appreciate well struck examples of coins that tend to come weakly struck. A weak strike on a circulated coin can also fool graders into assigning a lower grade than called for, as it may simulate wear.
    The 1920 Walker has a large dent or gouge in the right wing of the eagle. Otherwise it looks xf perhaps cleaned.

Draft saved Draft deleted