telemachus coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by toolshed89, Mar 18, 2011.

1. toolshed89

toolshed89 New Member

i found this coin in a roll of quarters. no idea what it is or age or worth, can anybody help me out 100B1150.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Its a fake.

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

:thumb:

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Can we see the reverse ??? Its not an ancient I am afraid. Still would like to see the back.

6. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Telemaahus was a figure in Greek Mythology. If there was a coin issued with his likeness it would have Greek writing on it, not English. It's probably just a modern token.

Telemachusin Greek mythology, son of Odysseus, king of Ithaca, and his wife, Penelope. The constant companion of his mother during the long years of Odysseus's wanderings after the fall of Troy, Telemachus watched with increasing unhappiness as the many ill-mannered suitors for the hand of his mother lived riotously on his father's estate. Unable to bear the taunts of these men any longer, the youth set out for Pylos to learn from the old king Nestor the fate of Odysseus. Although the old man could not help him, he sent Telemachus to Menelaus, king of Sparta, from whom the boy learned that his father had been held prisoner by the nymph Calypso. Still uncertain as to whether his father was alive or dead, Telemachus returned to Ithaca only to discover that during his absence Odysseus had returned home. The king had not revealed himself, however, having been disguised as a beggar. After a joyous reunion, Telemachus helped Odysseus kill the suitors and make himself known to Penelope. According to a later legend, Telemachus married the sorceress Circe or her daughter Cassiphone.

7. Gene Lueders

Gene Lueders New Member

I've run across one of these today going through my dad's collection of foreign coins passed to be him by my grandfather. The majority of these coins are European as my grandfather obtained many from Mecklenburg Germany. This is out of place and both men aren't novice collectors. There is no reverse striking.

Draft saved Draft deleted