Tasty little Greek treat (Pisidia silver Obol)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Feb 21, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'm with the Undead Crooner Dude. Show and tell! Show and tell!

(And a hint of show OFF and tell never really hurt anyone...) ;)

Severus Alexander and Alegandron like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

If you say it in a deep, ominous voice with a Scottish accent it sounds like the name of the Balrog.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I am ok with @Ed Snible posting his pristine example. As a regular here, I'm used to seeing the deep pockets here with examples of coins so pristine and stunning that I'd have to sell my kidney to even have a chance of owning. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all...I enjoy seeing others' cool collection. Post away.

I know I'd hate it if someone else told me I couldn't show off one of my better coins because it hurt someone else's feelings. I think it's ok to show and tell, and even brag a little, amongst fellow enthusiasts.

5. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I lack a scan of the coin I wanted to show and the coin might be in the safety deposit box.

These little gorgon/Athena fractions are quite common and rarely earn a second thought. Often they have mysterious symbols on the reverse. Usually it is a knucklebone or spear. Sometimes there are multiple symbols. There are three rare symbols that I know of. One symbol is a snake. That's the one I can't find. Another is the letter E and the last looks like a lower-case t.

Here is the E type (dealer photo):
    etenna.jpg
    Pisidia, Etenna?, 300-250 BC, obol. 0.52g 8mm
    O: Facing head (humanized gorgon?).
    R: Ε and astragalos behind helmeted head (of Athena?).
    Three known?

When I bought this I was sure the E stood for "Etenna". However it turns out at least three cities struck the type: Selge, Aspendos, and Etenna. All three begin their name with the letter E. (Crazy! They spoke a Pisidian language or dialect of Greek). Selge spelled their name ΣΤΛΕΓΕΙΥΣ or ΕΣΤΛΕLΙΙΥΣ.

This next one has the t-symbol and I think a knucklebone. Imhoof-Blumer was convinced these come from Etenna because of a wrestler stater with the same symbol.

etenna-obol-both.jpg
    Pisidia, Etenna?, 3/2 obol?, 0.99g 9mm
    O: Facing head (humanized gorgon?).
    R: t and astragalos behind helmeted head (of Athena?).
    Historia Numorum, page 708; Imhoof-Blumer, Kl. M. XIII 2

There is no price premium for the rare symbols. Most dealers don't even know they exist.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

My feelings exactly. As far as I'm concerned, the Internet was invented for coin chats, swaps, sales, and especially the show-and-tell aspect.

Show-and-tell was my favorite thing in Kindergarten. The one thing I remember favorably about being a little kid in school, actually. One day brought my sister's toy rabbit to show and tell, and then somebody stole it during recess. Whoops. OK, so that wasn't ideal, but I loved show-and-tell generally. And never really outgrew that.

Wow, I'm the king of tangents, aren't I? Geez. Where was I?

Oh, yeah. The Internet was invented for coin discourse. Obviously.

And cat pictures, of course.

Severus Alexander likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted