Tarentum AR Nomos (Great Dude Riding Dolphin Coin)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Taras Collage 1.jpg
    CALABRIA, Tarentum
    AR Nomos
    281-272 B.C.

7.85 grams, 20-22 mm.
    Obv: Nude warrior on horseback
    left, carrying small round shield
    Σ(A) to right, ΦIΛΩN below.
    Rev: Taras seated on dolphin left,
    holding Nike in right hand;
    6 waves below. TAPAΣ to r.
    Grade: An EF with attractive toning
    graded by NGC as Ch XF 4/4.
    The reverse depicting waves
    lapping at Tarus’ feet is PQ
    with the exception that Nike
    runs off the flan.
    Other: Vlasto 684, SNG ANS 1060.
    From private sale July 2017.

This puppy has some really nice luster which I'll try to capture in some photos tonight. In the mean time, can anybody confirm that this is Vlasto 684?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justinokay

Justinokay Member

Pretty, nice strike, lovely toning!

Collect89 likes this.
  4. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

That is very sweet, good catch.

:)

Collect89 likes this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I cannot confirm the reference... I do love your new coin though!

Collect89 likes this.
  6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Yes, its Vlasto 684. but you mixed up the legends on the reverse/obverse in your description.
    Its a beauty with great golden toning , congrats Collect89.

Heres mine, no waves but with a nice owl imho.

P1150344 best.jpg

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

SWEET POSTS!!

I grabbed a variation from JAZ:
    calabria tarentum nomos.jpg

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Hey collect, that's a super example. I'm looking for one of these with the waves and your wave-count sets the bar high!

Your coin is actually Vlasto 685 (same type as 686). Yours shares the same obverse die with this example.
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=122591

Vlasto 684 has a different obverse legend (ΦIΛΩN, but retrograde) below the horserider. Here's an example:
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=677100

Edited to add: the control before the rider for 685 is ΣΛ

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Collect89 and Andres2 like this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I can confirm that you have one HOT coin there...huba huba!

Collect89 and Jwt708 like this.
  10. I have a few. I'm not sure if it's because most of these were found in an early 20th century hoard and subsequently sold off into private collections, where they spent their time lingering in mahogany cabinets; but more often than not, these seem to have some sort of colored toning.
    Calabria Nomos Spread x6 50 percent.png

1. Nude youth on horseback left, placing wreath upon horse's head. NK monogram behind, ΦIΛOKPA below / TAPAΣ below, Taras, naked, seated on dolphin left, holding kantharos and trident.
    6.51g
    20.92mm

2. Nude warrior on horseback right, holding large round shield on left arm and wielding spear downwards in right hand, two reserve spears to his left; ΔI behind, API-ΣTO KΛ-HΣ in two lines below / TAPAΣ below, Taras, naked, seated left on dolphin, holding kantharos and trident, to right a female head left, hair tied in a knot behind
    6.35g
    19.95mm

3. Nude youth on horseback left, placing wreath on horse's head; ΣY above, ΛYΚI/ΝΟΣ in two lines below / TAPAΣ below, Taras on dolphin left, hurling trident held overhead in righthand, chlamys wrapped around left arm; owl behind.
    6.62g
    18.98mm

4. Naked rider on horseback right, crowning himself, ZΩ behind, ZΑΛΟ and iconic capital below / ΤΑΡΑΣ below, Taras on dolphin, holding distaff and akrostolion, ANΘ behind.
    6.52g
    19.57mm

5. Nude youth on horseback left, placing wreath on horse's head; ΣY above, ΛYΚI/ΝΟΣ in two lines below / TAPAΣ below, Taras on dolphin left, hurling trident held overhead in righthand, chlamys wrapped around left arm; owl behind.
    6.37g
    18.81mm

6. Nude warrior on horseback right, holding large round shield on left arm and wielding spear downwards in right hand, two reserve spears to his left, ΔAI beow / Taras, nude, on dolphin left, holding trident and shield, hippocamp upon it, ΦI to left, murex shell below.
    7.85g
    20.77mm

- Michael

11. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Wow, you folks have some awesome Tarentum coins. Obviously I need more nomos.:) I'd sure like one like @stevex6 coin where everything is sharp and the dolphin has attitude. It's difficult to find a satisfactory nomos after being exposed to the @stevex6 coin.:D

Thanks for all the
    kind-koin-komplements.

Mikey Zee and Theodosius like this.
  12. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I have one with the waves as well. The waves are what sold me on it. It is a little bit worn but in a pleasant way.

Tarentum Stater 2a.jpg

John

Mikey Zee, zumbly, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  13. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Draft saved Draft deleted