Tape Residue?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SorenCoins, Jun 21, 2019.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Alright, so I bought this beautifully tape-toned 40% Silver Kennedy Half the other day (for less than spot!), but it has a little bit of tape still stuck on it. How might I go about removing this, and preventing any residue without removing the toning?

IMG_2541.JPG IMG_2542.JPG IMG_2543.JPG IMG_2544.JPG

Thanks,
    Soren.

dwhiz and Seattlite86 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Start by soaking it in water, distilled water preferably. Then ensure the coin is entirely dried, by setting it on its edge and letting it air dry. I personally set my coins on a soft, dry towel and turn over to dry it, but air drying is the safest (don't let your coin roll away).
    Then soak it in pure acetone. This will not hurt your coin and should loosen up the residue and either let the tape fall off or make it so you can easily pluck it off with a gentle nudge or pinching it between your nails. Get a few soft q-tips and soak them in acetone and then ever so gently roll it across the coin to capture the tape gunk. It should literally come off onto the q-tip. If not all of it comes off, let it soak 30 more minutes and do it again. Rinse the coin one last time in a new bit of acetone and let it dry thoroughly.
    Soak the coin one last time in distilled water and dry as you see fit. This will not affect any of the toning on the coin. HOWEVER, there is already a marked difference between where the tape was and the rest of the coin. This will remain and could tone differently based on how it was stored or what might have been trapped between the tape and the coin.

Please provide follow up photos here!

serafino, Oldhoopster and SorenCoins like this.
  4. SorenCoins

The acetone won't just take the toning right off? I thought people tend to dip coins in acetone to remove toning intentional to get a blast-white surface, maybe I'm mistaken?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

You're thinking of dip, MS-70, and all those harsh solvents that eat away metal. No, acetone only reacts with organic material, so your metal and toning will be 100% safe (unless the "toning" is just a bunch of gunk on a coin). I've soaked a few hundred coins in pure acetone and they did not lose a speck of toning. Don't mix copper and silver in the same acetone mix though, but that's not relevant to your one coin.

Edit: if you still have concerns, I can toss a toned coin into pure acetone and show you some photos from today and tomorrow. Sometimes seeing is believing.

serafino and SorenCoins like this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Acetone is your friend for removing PVC residue and many organic deposits. It won't harm the coin since it doesn't act on metallic reaction products that make up toning.

It is a chemical and flammable, so you want to follow safe handling methods, but there are a couple threads in the archives outlining safe procedures. It will evaporate quickly in open containers and don't use nail polish remover. It has chemicals besides acetone. FInally, remember acetone is a solvent so you don't want to use plastic jars, etc. (a few plastics are ok but it's easiest just to stay from them). Oh, and don't spill it on countertops. You might get an unwanted reaction.

There are enough chemistry guys and others with acetone experience that can answer any questions

SorenCoins, ldhair and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Most likely, it will still have the discoloration and the difference will be more striking and for many collectors perhaps uglier than a dipping to bring it back to more evenness, as the toning area doesn't seem too attractive to me, but if you like it, that makes things easier. Jim

SorenCoins likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You mean e-Zest coin cleaner dip? Acetone shouldn't remove the toning. A dip will.

SorenCoins likes this.
  9. SorenCoins

Ok thanks guys! If you have one to put in acetone I wouldnt mind seeing it, but if not that’s fine. Right, I can use polypropylene and high-density polyethylene it appears but not other plastics I guess. Although to be safe I think ill just do it in metal or ceramic if I do end up putting it in.

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

A glass jar with a lid works well

SorenCoins likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

Okay, I grabbed the outer two coins and put them in my jar with pure acetone. I’ll pull them out tomorrow and show you them again.
    6AD30CE6-FD5E-49EE-ADF8-E9F8626E33BA.jpeg 95105EF8-7CAA-4B37-AE08-ED5812063039.jpeg 767B9B17-433D-4CC1-9BA3-3EB63F62AD6B.jpeg E191F2D1-BA11-4FA8-8B09-A2D024B7B74E.jpeg

ldhair, SorenCoins and serafino like this.
  12. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Acetone is not going to hurt silver coins. I have had 200 year old silver coins in acetone for a month with no adverse effect. If anybody has any questions about acetone, buy the pure stuff and put a common, melt value silver coin in there like a 1964 quarter and let it sit in there for a week and then take a look at it.
    However, you do need a air tight glass container to keep the acetone from evaporating

SorenCoins likes this.
  13. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

If you have a "Michael's" craft's store in your area, they sell these small, clear glass jars with air tight glass lids that are perfect for keeping coins in acetone. They are close in size to a baby food jar.
    Also, what's known as a glass, air tight "stash" jar works well, they are sold on ebay

SorenCoins likes this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

An old relish jar suffices........:)

Oldhoopster and SorenCoins like this.
  15. green18

Kripes, don't tell the wife.......she's just looking for an excuse to go there. Like Jo-Annes too........

[eyes glaze over and manly trinkets corrode]

16. SorenCoins

Hahahaha I love this comment!

jafo50 and green18 like this.
  17. SorenCoins

Thank you. I believe you completely but I wouldn’t mind seeing it just to further show me, thanks :) I have some acetone I use for amateur chemistry and it’s solvent from I think Walmart or Lowes. I think it’s pure, how can I know?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It should be on the can.

SorenCoins and Seattlite86 like this.
  19. green18

Get the Home Depot stuff......

SorenCoins likes this.
  20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

SorenCoins likes this.