Tape across silver dimes

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Comfortably Numb, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb Active Member

Hello I saw these on ebay. Do you think I can get the tape residue off. I understand it has been there many years. IMG_1720.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Try first distilled water, then medical alcohol perhaps and then a soak in a 100% acetone bath. But try first on obvious minimal value coins

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yeesh..... Man, that Scotch tape goo turns into concrete over the years. I believe you could get it off, but I also think it will also leave a stripe across the coin that will be differently toned than the rest of the dime.... If the price is right, it may be worth the effort.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Truly a shame that someone thought it would be acceptable to place scotch tape over those beautiful dimes. :arghh: Whether you can clean them up or not, who knows. That said, you may want to try GooGone if acetone don't work but only use GooGone if they're going into a silver pile. :banghead:

Inspector43 and David Betts like this.
  6. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

depending on price worth a shot? Acetone bath and nice clean cloth after 2-3 days? Maybe but not to send out for grading and minus a glue stripe a nice set to compile? The 21 D I'd do separate!
    If I were trying to build a nice set for personals I'd use a q tips "not plastic shank" and clean after acetone but note these are to collect not grade and sell

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I would do the standard cleaning first and then dip them in the silver jewelry clearer from Walmart for a few seconds each.

8. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

I can barely see in the pics but I would be all in on 1916 d ,1921 and 1921 d have 3 slots open for grand son I'd savage!!!!

9. Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb Active Member

Thanks for your help everyone. I passed on it and no 16D.

David Betts likes this.
  10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I totally agree with this.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted