Tantalisingly Rare Titus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, May 30, 2016.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

My Memorial Day weekend was greatly enhanced when the postman delivered this beauty Saturday.

T23.JPG
    Titus
    AR Denarius
    Rome Mint, 79 AD
    RIC 23 (R3), BMC -, RSC -
    Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, l.
    Rev: TR P VIIII IMP XIIII COS VII P P; Ceres std. l., with corn ears and poppy and torch

This is the second known specimen of an extremely rare portrait left Ceres type. The only other known specimen was in the Harry Sneh collection and was sold in the Gemini IX sale, 8 January, lot 333 (RIC plate coin). My coin shares an obverse die. It's not often that a second specimen of a unique Flavian type turns up, especially for Titus!

The EF Gemini coin sold for $2000, mine a little under $100. Needless to say I'm quite happy.

Historical note - this denarius was struck in late summer or early autumn of 79 around the time of the Mount Vesuvius eruption which buried the towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum. The traditional date of the eruption is 24th August, but the ancient text by Pliny the Younger the date is derived from is corrupt and recent archaeological discoveries point to an event that occurred later in the year.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Are there reference books that point out all or most of the Flavian silver rarities or do you study the coins you find online to find out which types are rare?

David Atherton likes this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

That's one amazing coin, and at $100 quite a bargain.

panzerman and David Atherton like this.
  5. David Atherton

I just use the standard reference catalogues (RIC, BMC, etc) and a personalised want list. Then I search for needles in haystacks. Many times dealers will misattribute a coin as common when it really isn't (such as the OP coin), and another one is crossed off my list.

The Gemini IX and X sale catalogues are about as close one can get to a published Flavian 'rarities' reference.

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

That's a sweet Titus, V70 (congrats ... comfy toning)

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Sweet find!

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's always fun seeing your meticulously curated coins!

How many of the Gemini Harry Sneh Flavians were you able to nab?

9. David Atherton

Thanks TIF!

By the time of the Gemini sales Harry had been sending me his duplicate Flavian rarities for several years, so many of the types which came up in those sales I had already acquired. However, there were several extremely rare denarii I was able to obtain from both sales, sold and unsold lots.

In my Forvm gallery all the coins from Harry's collection are attributed as such. Without his generous help many important coins would be missing.

panzerman, Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That is fantastic capturing this extremely rare type! Looks like it has a wonderful history being exchanged with ancient hands...that adds so much to its rare value! Congratulations!!!

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wonderful coin and a great writeup! Congrats David.

12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Huge congrats David!!!:hungry:

That's a terrific find!!!:woot::woot:

13. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Making mental notes here. I know if I saw this in a lot I wouldn't think it worth even $20.

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice find, David, congrats.
    That is true, but being left facing, I know it would be a bit more special, but would think nothing of the reverse subject.

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Same, same.

16. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I need to get on Vepasian70's will somehow, think of all those deliciously rare Flavia coins he must have hidden away in his collection. You know, Vespasian70, my birthday is coming up soon and nothing says birthday like a Flavian denarius

17. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Putting aside the cleaning scratches and amount of wear, this coin has a number of attributes to recommend it: (1) both the obverse and reverse are well centered, (2) the legends are full and readable on both sides, and (3) the portrait retains enough detail to easily identify the emperor.

This is an eminently collectible coin, and coins like this always remind me that it's usually necessary to look past one's initial impression and evaluate all the aspects of an ancient coin when making a purchasing decision. And in addition, it's a rare type!

Cucumbor, red_spork, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  18. David Atherton

When I first started collecting Flavian coins I told myself 'only VF or better'. How glad I am that I didn't stick to that rule! The collection would not be so interesting if it was missing all those 'fine' grade coins.

panzerman, red_spork, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I like the COIN and its place in history... the Numismatic concern is minimal to my thinking. :) That is cool... it is one of two known!

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am 100% with Ides on this one but not all that far from Ardatirion on the price either (double, perhaps?). The coin is very much like many coins I would have in my collection. I am big on point 2 (legends) so I would prefer one with more TITVS and half height letters at the top but that is where the being rare factor kicks in. I am not a Titus collector (have ten) so would not appreciate its rarity as much as I would a similar Septimius. I think it is great when a coin like this finds a home that will consider it welcome. We can not all buy them all. I am thankful for that since it frees me from trying.

David Atherton and Mikey Zee like this.
  21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

It would certainly not win a beauty contest, but as writen above, will emphazise your collection, where its true place is. In my trays it would be a worn Titus denarius, in yours what it exactly is : a milestone

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted