Talking about toning...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Inspector43, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I am not sure how to tell the difference between toning and poor maintenance especially on Morgans.

Here are a couple of my examples. Are they poor care or toning.

Thanks. 82 O.jpg 89 P.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

How and where have they been stored?

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

A mild exposure to sulfur can cause purple toning among other colors, over exposure can turn them black. I think copper and silver are especially reactive to sulfer

5. Inspector43

They have been in a DANSCO for many years.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

We’re they that dark when they went in the Dansco?

7. Inspector43

They look just like when I got them. I don't remember when, but it was a long time ago. Got them raw. Always kept them in 2X2's or flips. I like the look but wondered if it was natural or previous storage. It doesn't matter except can I call it natural toning?

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you didn't treat them with anything then it's natural. Just a dark toning to me. I just found a few nickel rolls that I tucked away a few years ago. Not sure why but only the coin on onebof the ends toned, basically corroded. The other end is pristine, like the day it was first minted. Very odd and never have I had this happen to me before.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

While I understand your question and the reason you ask, the answer simply requires a little understanding. While what you refer to as poor maintenance is in reality nothing more than improper storage, it doesn't directly cause the toning, but it is always a contributing factor. The cause of toning is the air and what's in it at the location where the coins are stored. And even if store your coins correctly they are still going to tone, but much more slowly than they would with improper storage. To put in simplest terms improper storage speeds up toning and can and will often exacerbate it - make it worse.

So the simple and accurate answer to your question - Are they poor care or toning. - is it's both.

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Inspector43

I think my last question would be - does the toning on these reduce their acceptance in the collecting community? Not monetarily, but do they have an appearance that is generally acceptable?

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's chocolate and vanilla - some like 'em, other's don't.

AuldFartte and Inspector43 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted