Taler Roundup

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Zohar444, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

These all arrived from various auctions and will get properly imaged at the NY Show (Todd will be there). Thought I would share.

1603 Germany. Teutonic Order. Grandmaster Maximilian of Austria Taler. Hall mint. KM-5854. Dudik-187b. Beautifully toned crown with original skin. Superb preservation and presentation of this broad flan type. NGC AU-58.

[​IMG]

1654 Austria. Ferdinand Charles, Archduke of Further Austria (1632-1662) Taler. DAV-3367. KM-933.3. Tyrol, Hall Mint. Obv: Older, thinner bust right. Rev: Crowned arms in order chain. Fully lustrous with a lovely mottled golden tone. NGC graded MS-64.
    The Dr. Robert Hesselgesser Collection. Goldberg's sale 36, lot 1890.

[​IMG]
    1657 Austria. Ferdinand III (1637-1657) Taler. Vienna Mint. DAV-3184. UNC

[​IMG]
    1758 Salzburg, Sigismund III., Graf von Schrattenbach (1753-1771) Taler. DAV-1250, KM-391, Probszt-2277. Obv: Saint, haloed and standing, head to left. Rev: An attractive type featuring Madonna laying Christ down in swaddling clothes with motto band above and arms to right. A Choice example of this scarce, one-year type. Fully lustrous with a touch of golden toning. NGC MS-64 PL.

[​IMG]
    1769 Salzburg. Sigismund III., Graf von Schrattenbach (1753-1771) 1/2 Show Taler Commemorating the South Gate ("Sigismundtor") Completion. Engraver: Franz Xaver Matzenkopf Jr. HZ:2965. BR:4157. Very scarce. PCGS MS-62.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

These are beautiful. How easy do you think it is to find Talers in Germany? I'm moving there soon and am interested in potentially collecting some of them.

4. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Thanks - you will be situated in the best possible place!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Is German Ebay a good source for Talers ?

6. Firenze

Firenze Member

It actually is, but you should stick with sellers that have a possible rating and a lot of feedback. Especially when it comes to Doppelthaler coins (2 Thaler coins) there are always counterfeits on ebay.

@Seattlite86 Well in general, every coin shop in Germany has some Thalers to sell. However, German ebay or local auctions are often cheaper (as long as you are fine with VF-XF conditions). Personally, I'd consider myself lucky because I collect coins from Prussia/Brandenburg and although there are some scarce types, many 19th century Thalers have a rather high mintage. Prussian commemorative Thalers from 1861 and 1871 Thalers for instance are beautiful coins that are not expensive at all.

serafino and Seattlite86 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted