Tale of the two headed quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by VistaCruiser69, Sep 18, 2019.

1. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

I found this in my pocket change a few months back. When I get home and empty out my pockets of change, I separate the quarters by 1) non-Eagle reverse 2) Eagle reverses 1990 - newer 3) 1989 - older.

I spotted this one quickly when looking at all the reverses. At first glance I hit the ceiling thinking "wow! A two headed quarter". Got out the magnifier and discovered it's a fake. First pic you can see the gap where the one quarter is glued into the second quarter, which was machined (cut) out. Made from two quarters. Guess someone down at the local Knickknack Paddywack Bar & Grill lost their "Heads or tails, I'm heads...loser pays for the next round" coin trick. Worthless, but I'm keeping it cause I found it in my pocket change and has it's own uniqueness, if you can call it that.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

Hookman and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Cool find! You should definitely keep it, but I wouldn't use it to flip at the bar if you value your life.

Chris

Hookman and VistaCruiser69 like this.
  4. VistaCruiser69

LOL. yeah, not a good idea to do that. What other "productive" purpose would a fake two headed quarter serve though?

Hookman likes this.
  5. ja59

ja59 Missing the Beach just not as much as ...

Magic tricks.
    Google "Magician Coin"

Hookman likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

As an example to show other collectors what to look for in a "Magician's Coin".

Chris

Hookman likes this.
  7. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

You can pretend to be Two-Face from Batman.

8. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Do you know which coin Two-Face actually used?

9. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

I found one before and I thought I hit the jackpot! Lol I was so happy! Then I was told it's not an error lol it's just a magicians coin. Pretty cool to have.

10. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Well in the dark night it was a peace dollar.

Hookman likes this.
  11. VistaCruiser69

I saw a video on youtube recently which showed how these two headed coins are made. It took the guy literally an hour or two of labor getting this accomplished. Two quarters get destroyed (.50) an hour or more in labor, and it takes special machining equipment. Seems like a lot of work to me just to make a fake quarter. With determination like that, you'd think they'd do a little something a bit more rewarding like building a house. Anyways...

Here's another quarter that I ran across in my pocket change recently. It's definitely an example of extreme PMD. What trips me out, and thus why I'm holding onto it, it's the same diameter of other regular quarters and it's thickness is basically uniform at all edges. I would think it being crushed/compacted as it is, it wouldn't be perfectly round with the same diameter as a regular quarter. It's perfectly round as a normal quarter and its the same thickness all the way around the edges. It must have taken some serious tonnage to accomplish this. Poor bicentennial quarter...

Attached Files:

• 1 1.jpeg
      1 1.jpeg
      File size:
      340.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1 2.jpeg
      1 2.jpeg
      File size:
      376.1 KB
      Views:
    Hookman likes this.