Taking Pictures of Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bman33, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I am trying to find the best way to take pictures of my coins. Does anyone have any ideas? The only camera I have is on my iPhone. Taking nice pictures of my coins would greatly enhance my experience on this site.

SmokinJoe, tpsadler and Mikey Zee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

you want high quality pics, get a good digital camera with macro, camera stand and multiple lights, you want semi decent cheap pics, get a usb microscope,, all depends on what you want and your budget,,,

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

@WingedLiberty uses a camera phone for many of his pictures. Maybe he'll check in with some advice.

Some good advice from Ken above. Digital 'point and shoot' types of cameras with macro capabilities are fairly reasonable and produce excellent results. Using a tripod and employing the camera timer, to reduce camera shake, are a must.....

SmokinJoe and Bman33 like this.
  5. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever shown a decent picture of an entire coin with a USB microscope? I can't remember.

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

This is what you should do. If not and you decide to continue using your phone you're going to have to come up with a way to mount and stabilize the phone and put the shutter on a timer.

Bman33 likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I've never seen any good photos of larger coins take by an "out-of-the-box" USB.

Chris

9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Let me refresh your memory. Here's an entire coin:

S20160129_001.jpg

10. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I've posted a lot of coins with zero complaint on the photos. It's not top of the line be it's good enough.

Newcoinboy2018 likes this.
  11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Using my wife's point and shoot with a tripod, a flexible lamp, a CD stand and a piece of cardboard I took the photo below. I used MSPaint to crop and combine the photos, no other editing. I believe it is a very accurate portrayal of the coin in hand.

[​IMG]

I've had some fun with coin photography and I suppose it's become a side hobby.

lordmarcovan, TIF, Alegandron and 5 others like this.
  12. 2Old

2Old Active Member

I use the Dino-Lite AM-411T with the MS35B Rigid Table Top Pole Stand. With this combo I can image a full shot of any size coin.

Andrew Snovell and Bman33 like this.
  13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

An iPhone is, in my personal experience, as good as any non-dSLR camera for shooting coins. They are easily the class of all smartphone cameras and the equal of all but the best point-and-shoots for the purpose (and the best point-and-shoots are older models). Experimentation with lighting, and adherence to the cardinal rules of macro shooting - firm rest for camera, exact squareness to the subject, delayed shutter so you're not touching it when it snaps - will result in perfectly gradable images. I know half a dozen collectors who have refined their iPhone technique to this level.

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Do you have an estimate on all the materials it would cost to take those pictures?

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I spent less than $2 because my wife already owned a camera, tripod, and I took my CD stack holder that I already owned. I also had a copy of MSPaint preinstalled on my computer.

Bman33 likes this.
  16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I have some experimentation with lighting to do with my iPhone!....I called a camera store and they said it would cost $300-$400 to make quality, gradable images of coins. I'm not quite there yet.

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Whoa! Time to slow down.

Bman33 likes this.
  18. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

a usb microscope will take full coin pics as long as you have a stand that will raise the scope up high enough above the coin, like 2old's setup..

TJ1952 likes this.
  19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Point & shoot.......

[​IMG]

lordmarcovan, Curtisimo, TIF and 2 others like this.
  20. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I disagree, sorta. You give me a $400 budget, and I will set you up with an equipment list capable of professional results from (literally) microscope-level magnification to full-face coin images and slab pics as well. It requires purchasing used, but there are many reputable outlets for everything on the equipment list.

In the meantime, your iPhone is very_much_worth pursuing to the limit of its' capabilities for full-face images. It gives limited magnification, so Cents and Dimes will be smaller images than the optimal 800-1000px diameter, but you'll be pleasantly surprised by what it can do. :)

Bman33 likes this.
  21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Walker Test Reverse 02032016.jpg pics Walker Test 02032016 2.jpg post: editing right now, will get photos flipped counter clockwise. This was what I did with my phone. Resolution is there but lighting and placement is not consistent.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Andrew Snovell, imrich and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted