Taking a Break

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Walking Sterling Silver, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Walking Sterling Silver

Walking Sterling Silver 16 Years Old and Love to Learn

I got to take a break from collecting for maybe a few days. The addiction to coins is stressing lol. Trying to keep up promises on trades, when you still need to get postage. I highly doubt I'll be able to stay away for even an hour.

Clutchy and Kip Caven like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

You'll never make it, but I wish you luck. See you tomorrow.

4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Well-Known Member

It is good to take breaks. I've found myself more enthused about the hobby then ever after a long dry spell.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

NEVER!!! you mean a break from buying right ? lol never stop learning or reading about coins. :blackalien:

Jwt708 likes this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

You're doing it wrong, hobbies shouldn't be stressful.

dwhiz, BRandM and spirityoda like this.
  7. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

You've got that right! Have fun and enjoy it WSS.

Bruce

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That may have come off sounding harsh...and I didn't mean it that way, more just tongue-in-cheek.

Sometimes I force myself to stop looking as to not make my finances stressed! :D

treylxapi47 likes this.
  9. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

It sounds like you need to exercise something that lots of youngsters, and lots of adults, struggle with, and that's patience. You don't need to complete your collection today, or tomorrow or next week. Take your time, kick back a little and enjoy the ride. The fun in collecting isn't the destination, it's the journey.

spirityoda, green18 and medoraman like this.
  10. Walking Sterling Silver

My biggest problem. I know. It's a habit. And that is the best speech I've ever heard. Is it okay if I quote that?

11. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

It's not original, I stole it from someone else. Help yourself.:)

Kip Caven likes this.
  12. Walking Sterling Silver

A www man! I was hoping it was original.

Kip Caven likes this.
  13. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Lol, yes its borrowed. Its been around forever. However, its true. This is why most collectors never wish to buy a complete collection. Ask any dealer. They buy a complete set of something and have to break it up to sell it for the maximum price. Collectors want to pleasure of the chase. A completed collection is anti-climactic, its not very fun. When you finally get that last piece, its not a sense of accomplishment as much as worry about what you will collect next that you feel.

So just enjoy the journey OP. One suggestion is to start reading about a COMPLETELY different numismatic subject than you deal with now. If you only collect nickels, read about quarters. If you collect US coins read about paper money, or 19th century British, or ancient Romans. Broaden your horizons. You do not have to buy any, but reading about a whole new numismatic area is fun and exciting, and can be free.

silentnviolent, Kip Caven and Jwt708 like this.
  14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Not to mention that the more you amass, the more you realize that you don't have.

15. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

So true. So very true.

16. medoraman

Yeah, and its even worst if you are a world or ancient collector. US coins are at least possible. I have sets of books like the BM on Greek coins. 33 books with hundreds of coins per book, and its not very uncommon to see coins listed as "not in BM". US coins its possible with a large enough checkbook, for ancients it literally is impossible to collect all types, let alone varieties.

spirityoda likes this.
  17. Walking Sterling Silver

That's why I love US! But varieties for US is still being discovered!

Kip Caven likes this.
  18. medoraman

Not really unless you get into hyper obscure definitions of the word variety. In ancients, I am talking about varieties like different animal control marks, different direction something is facing, etc. In the US they have every dang die listed as a "variety" for early coins. US coins, (which I started with and still own), are the most hyper-collected coins on earth. They truly make mountains out of molehills in US numismatics because we have such little history here.

fred13 and Kirkuleez like this.
  19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And way too much time on our hands......... devil.gif

20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

This is the most accurate statement ever.

21. Walking Sterling Silver

Yep I didn't last long

geekpryde and Kirkuleez like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted