Take a penny - Leave a penny -- 1964 possible bar L variety, unable to identify

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JohnT, Jun 1, 2013.

1. JohnT

JohnT Newbismatist

Hi all,

Confession: whenever I see a "leave-a-penny, take-a-penny" tray, I take a penny... assuming it isn't one of the last few. There was a big pile of cents at the garden center today when I was checking out, so I nabbed one:
    1964_Bar_L0.jpg 1964_Bar_L1.jpg 1964_Bar_L2.jpg 1964_Bar_L3.jpg
    Here is a 1964 with a blob under the L in Liberty. Looks to be more of a die chip, but given the position and the year thinking it might be a bar L variety. Wasn't able to match with any on coppercoins.com. Thought y'all might have some inputs/insights.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I think it's either a minor lam or coincidental damage. Here is an extra bar DDO I found some time ago...
    [​IMG]
    Keep up the hunt!

4. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I love those take a penny leave a penny things! I got my first 1960-D small date out of one of those.

5. devin

devin Member

6. devin

devin Member

possible small date ?

7. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Not so fast Simon. Your cent and his have a lot of similarities.

8. non_cents

Take a look at the second picture in the original post. It is clear there that it is an extra bit of metal on the coin that was disturbed, not a doubled die.

9. AWORDCREATED

Similitude

Attached Files:

10. non_cents

But none of the things you pointed out in my picture are the doubled die. The doubled die is the extra bar that is well below the L of LIBERTY and is obviously not a piece of detached metal.

11. AWORDCREATED

Two words: die markers

12. AWORDCREATED

Two more words: double negative :)

13. non_cents

What die markers?
    Again, I direct your attention to the second image, which clearly shows that the "bar" is a detached fragment of the coin.

No offense my friend, but maybe you should focus more on the different classes of doubled dies, and less about the sentence structure of my posts. ;)

14. AWORDCREATED

meh. So he has some PMD/edge roll that is distorting what used to be less questionable.

Draft saved Draft deleted