Take a look at this eBay auction

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by susanlynn9, Jan 9, 2005.

1. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pcrdnadave

pcrdnadave Senior Member

Most New Orleans minted coins have an "O" mint mark :D NGC may have an authentication service without giving a grade but I'd question if this is a real slab, of course. I imagine they would call it "genuine" before "Brilliant Uncirculated".

Also, the reverse looks like its not in the slab.

Ooops, my bad, Its a Proof. :p :rolleyes:

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Oh it's not a real slab - and that's no Proof coin either.

5. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I looked at all of the auctions that this seller has bought and he bought a couple I was a little questionable about. His only negative was as a buyer over a year ago. I emailed him with all of the information about why this coin is not what is stated on the slab (and the authenticity of the slab) and suggested he pull the auction on his own. If he doesn't, I'll be reporting it tomorrow morning. I think this is a case of someone who, although he sells coins, really doesn't know anything about them. I think he's been lucky so far with what he's sold because he sells slabs so he doesn't have to grade. There was one raw coin that he must have got an opinion from a dealer on because he said he was told it would grade MS62/63 and it apparently came back an MS61.

We'll see what he does.

6. GDJMSP

While you're notifying people - notify NGC ;)

7. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

Actually, NGC has been known to grade coins for special purposes and for particular promotions with just "brilliant uncirculated" listed as the grade.

And I just went over to the NGC web site to look up this cert number. It checks out -- it is, indeed, listed as an 1883-O Morgan graded "Brilliant Uncirculated."

8. Cu101

Cu101 Member

How do you know the coin in the picture is the same coin that is in the slab?

9. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

I suspect the reverse picture is a generic picture and not that of the actual coin. I don't know that -- and I guess that's where Susan's referring to asking some questions is relevant -- but I think the auction itself is legit based on the cert lookup -- assuming the seller just posted a generic Morgan reverse (with no mint mark).

10. GDJMSP

Good detective work then ziggy. I looked up the slab to see if it was possibly a sample slab - but it's not. And it is certainly a new NGC version that I have never seen.

I still wonder where the O mint mark is and why the seller lists the coin as a Proof :confused:

11. collect4fun

collect4fun Senior Member

Also why would you display the obverse of the coin and the reverse of another? That is like listing a car for sale and showing the front end of a Porsche and the rear end of a Pinto.

12. bigd

bigd New Member

Looks like we are all wrong guys! Seems seller made an honest mistake on this one. That reverse picture is of a 1878 morgan with the 78 reverse. Notice eagles chest is concave,,not convex.(An innie not an outie) The 83 o came with the 79 reverse. (outie eagles chest lol.) Also the 79 or 83 o reverse has 7 tail feathers and this picture has eight which makes it an 1878 8tf morgan. Also to strengthen the arguement....the 83 o reverse very top arrow feather is angled up and the 1878 top arrow feather is parrallel to the others as this is. looks to me like this guy just clicked on the wrong reverse jpeg to upload. A common mistake that does make him one of the bad guys. Yeah,,,there are a few other mistakes in this auction(ie accidently clicked proof in description,,, or spelled ngc ncg but hell , look at my spelling.lol) .

13. mitchell

mitchell Senior Member

Ruh roh!....

But that is why I love this board.

14. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

It was because I felt that this was an honest mistake and not an intentional scam that I emailed him rather than just report him to eBay. I wanted to show that not all suspicious-looking auctions are scams - some are just honest mistakes. The problem now is learning to identify which it is ;)

15. collect4fun

Pobodys Nerfect :D I have made a mistake or two in the last 40 years.

16. bigd

bigd New Member

Yeah i have made a few myself. Actually have this guys auctions opened in another window and noticed he is selling a 1878 cc morgan but when you go the auction site,,,, the pictures is of an 1879 cc. huge difference that could cost this gent some money., Luckily he does not have the $.99 no reserve auctions. If anyone else e-mails this gent,,please remind him of this error also., It can only help.

17. satootoko

satootoko Retired

What earthly difference does it make whether an incorrect description or picture is deliberately misleading, or carelessly inaccurate? My own buy-don't buy decision will always be based on whether or not I want what is described and pictured, at the price offered. My subsequent keep-return decision will be based on whether or not what I received was what I bought.

18. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

In terms of your decision to buy, none whatsoever.

In terms of whether or not one goes off on a message board calling someone a "scammer" and maligning their integrity, on the other hand, it matters a lot.

19. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

I conur with Ziggy that the reverse picture is not the same coin. If you look closely, it appears the coin is not in the NGC slab.

20. IvanV

IvanV New Member

Hello guys, Ive never done this before but I have an account in heritagecoins.com, they have an option to add coin using the "Bar Code #", well I tried to add that coin to "My Collection" (just to verify if the # is valid)...but the service didn't found that # in their records...so...could this be a fake slab...? (I think it is...but I don't really know about this things hehe :D )

21. collect4fun

Draft saved Draft deleted