T-Bone Tuesday -- Sweet Victory!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Trebonianus Gallus, AD 251-253.
    Roman AR antoninianus, 3.49 g, 20.3 mm, 7 h.
    Antioch, unmarked officina, 1st or 2nd issue, AD 251-252.
    Obv: IMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS P F AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust (viewed from back) of Trebonianus Gallus, right.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVG, Victory standing right, on globe, holding a wreath and a palm.
    Refs: RIC 94; Cohen --; RSC 127b; RCV 9654; Hunter p. cvi.
    Notes: Scarce. Only six examples are to be found among the 949 coins representing 11 hoards summarized by Metcalf (p. 87).

Although this coin raises many questions, I think we can all agree that is one sweet depiction of Victory on its reverse!

Trebonianus Gallus VICTORIA AVG facing on globe Antioch close up.jpg

This triumphant rock anthem was featured in the classic “Band Geeks” episode of SpongeBob SquarePants. It was co-written, produced and performed by Bob Kulick and David Glen Eisley along with Eric Singer of KISS.

I believe the coin is from T-Bone's first or second issue at Antioch. The issues differ in bust type: the first issue shows Gallus cuirassed but without a paludamentum (i.e. undraped) with officina marks only on the obverse; the second issue is the same but uses officina marks on both sides of the coins, while the third issue coins (AD 252-3) show Gallus draped and with a coarser style portrait (Metcalf, p. 79). RIC does not distinguish between any of the three issues. There is an excellent article on these coins written by William Metcalf that can be found in ANS Museum Notes 22 entitled The Antioch Hoard of Antoniniani and the Eastern Coinage of Trebonianus Gallus and Volusian.

Metcalf records a number of coins in the Antioch Hoard that bear no officina markings (pp. 73-75). My coin, like the example in the British Museum Collection cited in RIC, bears none as well. One might think that this would indicate a first issue coin, because of the absence of an officina mark on the reverse, but the British Museum's example appears to have a draped and cuirassed bust type, which the museum describes as "Radiate, draped bust (viewed from back) of Decius (sic), right." This would make it a third issue type.

Trebonianus Gallus VICTORIA AVG facing right on globe Antioch BMC.png
    The British Museum specimen of RIC 94.

Moreover, Richard Beal clearly illustrates a draped and cuirassed bust type on his page devoted to the third issue of Antioch.

Capture.JPG

Mine, on the other hand, appears to be the cuirassed and undraped bust type. See multiple examples of antoniniani of the 1st and 2nd issues at Antioch here at Richard Beale's "Four Bad Years" site.

Therefore, this coin appears to have been produced in both the earliest and the latest phases of coin production at Antioch. It's unlikely, therefore, that the victory alluded to on the coin's reverse refers to a specific victory that can be historically dated.

The coin raises a few questions.

question mark small.jpeg

• To which, if any, particular victory does the coin refer to?
    • Why did Antioch issue antoniniani with three different VICTORIA reverse types (Rome issued only one; the branch mint none)?
    • Why does the coin's reverse inscription read AVG instead of AVGG as on this VICTORIA AVGG issue from the Rome mint?

Trebonianus Gallus VICTORIA AVGG antoninianus Rome.jpg Trebonianus Gallus, AD 251-253.
    Roman AR antoninianus, 3.46 g, 22.2 mm, 5 h.
    Rome, 6th officina, 5th issue, AD 253.
    Obv: IMP CAE C VIB TREB GALLVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust (viewed from back) of Trebonianus Gallus, right.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVGG, Victory standing left,holding wreath and palm.
    Refs: RIC 48a; Cohen/RSC 128; RCV 9656; Hunter 23.

If you have answers to these questions or more information, I'd love to read your comments. As always, post anything you feel is relevant!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Minting out of Antioch was soon to be impacted by the Sassanids. Nice coin RC!

Roman Collector likes this.
  4. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Very nice coin, RC. I really like the reverse design.

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..that's a beautiful Victory RC!..:)...one of my favorite reverses on coins, what Christians would adopt as angels.... Otho!! 001.JPG Otho!! 002.JPG

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I always chuckle about the transition from Victory to Angels... lets cut them up and slaughter them in battle. VICTORY! Then latter in History, they become ANGELS... loving and godly... LOL, hmmmmmm...... yeah.

upload_2020-9-1_16-24-8.png
    RI Caracalla 198-217 AR Quinarius CE 213 1.3g 13.6mm Laureate - Victory Wreath Palm RIC IV 101 RSC 450 RARE

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted