T-Bone Tuesday -- New Age edition

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

New age? Like this?

No, no, no! Not that kind of new age -- I'm talking about SAECVLVM NOVVM, which means "a new age" (in this case spelled saecullum). This coin depicts a temple (Jupiter Capitolinus? Roma Aeterna?) and coins of this reverse type were first issued by Philip I in honor of the secular games held to celebrate the 1000th anniversary of the city. The "new age" thus referred to the second millennium of Rome.

The design was subsequently used on coins of Herennius Etruscus, Hostilian, Trebonianus Gallus, and Volusian, even though the secular games were not held during the reigns of Decius or Trebonianus.

Gallus's coins of the Antioch mint average only 18.9% silver, so they aren't exactly the most lustrous coins in the history of Roman numismatics.

Post your SAECVLVM NOVVM coins, coins of Trebonianus Gallus, or anything you feel is relevant!

Trebonianus Gallus SAECVLLVM NOVVM Antioch antoninianus.jpg
    Trebonianus Gallus, AD 251-253.
    Roman AR antoninianus, 3.49 g, 20.3 mm, 7 h.
    Antioch, AD 251-252, second officina.
    Obv: IMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust (viewed from back) of Trebonianus Gallus, right; •• below bust.
    Rev: SAECVLLVM NOVVM, hexastyle temple, with figure (of Roma?) in center; •• in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 91; Cohen 111; RCV 9648; Hunter 54.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great coin, never knew about that Series. Cool.

BUMMER.

Nope, nary a one.

However, I am into the New Age Veg-out Music. Yeah, vegged to that music many a time!

spirityoda and Roman Collector like this.
  4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice one, RC. Interesting this has the "two L" version of the reverse legend. There were spelling problems at the Antioch Mint in those days - D's and B's caused confusion.

My two ants from Antioch seem to be even less silvery - I think some of them were silver-washed (the first time this was done on an official basis?) - consulting the Four Bad Years website expert, he told me he's encountered a lot of these in base metal from Antioch.

I don't have this one yet - FELICITAS PVBLI - I just got it off eBay - hope I'm not jinxing myself. I haven't attributed it yet, but I am pretty sure it is Antioch mint, third issue with the crude bust; per the site:

"Gallus' third issue at Antioch has the exact same obverse inscription as the first and second issues, and RIC does distinguish between any of the three issues. Nevertheless they are easy to differentiate: The first issue shows Gallus undraped and with a fine style portrait with officina marks only on the obverse, the second issue is the same but uses officina marks on both sides of the coins, while the third issue coins show Gallus draped with a coarse style portrait."

http://sonic.net/~marius1/mysite/Gallus Antioch Third Issue.htm

Trebonianus Gallus - Ant. Antioch Felicitas Aug 2020 (0).jpg

Here's a base metal Antioch ant. for Volusian from the same era - note the D for a B in VBERITAS:

Volusian - Antioch Ant. UBERITAS (2).JPG

Volusian - Æ Antoninianus
    (251-253 A.D.)
    Antioch Mint - Officina 4

IMP C V AF GAL VEND VOLVSIANO AVG, radiate, draped bust right 4 dots below/
    VDERITAS (misspelt) AVG, Uberitas standing left w/ purse and cornucopiae, 4 dots below.
    (3.10 grams / 25 mm)

5. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

My only SAECVLVM NOVVM is a bit worse for wear but relatively scarce

Philip Antoninianus

Obv:– IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG, Radiate, draped, cuirassed bust left
    Rev:– SAECVLVM NOVVM, Temple of six columns with statue of Roma inside
    Minted in Antioch. 3rd issue (Spring & Summer 249 AD)
    Reference(s) – RIC 86a (R2). RSC 200 (20 Fr.). Bland Study 49

3.35 g. 22.24 mm. 0 degrees

[​IMG]

Gotta like a good T-Bone though

Trebonianus Gallus - Antoninianus

Obv:– IMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped cuirassed bust right
    Rev– ADVNTVS (sic) AVS(sic), Trebonianus Gallus riding on horse left, holding hand high in salute and scepter
    Minted in Antioch.
    Reference(s) – RIC 79 var (reverse legend).

Rare with these reverse legend errors. Possibly the fourth known example all from the same reverse die.

Ex Private British collection, was purchased from English dealer Peter Mimms in 1976

[​IMG]

Add Mars to the mix.....

Obv:– IMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– MARTEM PROPVGNATOREM, Mars, walking right holding spear and shield
    Minted in Antioch. A.D. 251 - 253
    Ref:– RIC 84. RSC 70

[​IMG]

tibor, Edessa, DonnaML and 7 others like this.
  6. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Here's my newest T-Bone, a big provincial from Antioch.

8F803CE8-D179-4CF0-B805-24ACCCFFA57D.jpeg
    Trebonianus Gallus, 251-253, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch, AE Octassarion (30 mm, 18.53 g). Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Trebonianus Gallus to right. Rev. ANTIOXEΩN MHTPO KOΛΩN / Δ-E / S C Tyche of Antioch seated facing with river god Orontes swimming left below; all within tetrastyle portable shrine surmounted by ram leaping right; on bottom of shrine, carrying poles. RPC IX 1851.

Marsyas Mike, tibor, Edessa and 7 others like this.
  7. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Or a big chunky Tet...?

Trebonianus Gallus Ar Tetradrachm

Obv:– AYTOK K G OYIB TREB GALLOC CEB, Laureate, draped cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– DHMARX EXOYCIAC YPATOB, Eagle standing facing, head left, tail left//SC
    Minted in Antioch. Second Issue. ./A
    Reference:– Prieur 671

[​IMG]

Marsyas Mike, tibor, Edessa and 6 others like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I doubt my SAECVLLVM NOVVM started life with any better silver that the OP coin but what happens to a 20% coin in the process of bulial and retrieval can make some look more porous than others.
    ro1430bb1815.jpg

Re: Marsyas Mike's coin: The B/D confusion is a common thing and even shows in details we might overlook. Notice on my example that the crossbar that made the D into a B is weaker than the rest of the letter. Your coin has a lot of sandy fill in the D so I would not guarantee that there never was a similar middle stroke. Here the 'purse' looks to have a flat bottom. ro1400bb0547.jpg

Below is my Gallienus with more B looking B and a purse with 'points' on the bottom as is more usual for these purses. The old saying is that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear but you most certainly could make a very soft and functional leather purse out of a goat udder (not ubber?). Whether or not you cut off the included teats would depend on your sense of style but I really doubt that people in the third century would find an anatomically correct purse nearly as strange as the 21st century fashionistas might.
    rp1590bb0044.jpg

See this aureus for a more detailed purse. It should be no great surprise that often gold coins have better detail.
    https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=200159

I was in college when I saw the movie 'Nevada Smith' which according to the link below caused many of us (including me, I recall) to gasp in 1966. I wonder if any others here saw that movie before the pouch related cut as discussed in this link:
    https://forums.tcm.com/topic/51941-nevada-smith-has-been-cut/

It does rather point out that a goat-skin purse would be nothing unusual.

Marsyas Mike, tibor, Edessa and 6 others like this.
  9. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

My Hostilian as Augustus:

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 11.51.21 AM.jpg

After reading the OP, I find myself really hoping this coin acquires some iridescent toning. :D Time to pop it into the Abafil, I think!

Marsyas Mike, tibor, Bing and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted