Syria

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

10 pounds 1996, copper-nickel, weight - 7 g., size - 26,4 mm, thickness - 1,78 mm, mintage - unknown.

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      114 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      113.8 KB
      Views:
    chrsmat71, medjoy and Effigy303 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

So, what's the story with these modern Syrian coins? Are they valuable, common etc? What do you like about them? I don't know anything about this coinage

4. Siberian Man

As I know, 10 Syrian pounds are equal to 7 cents of USA.

5. joecoincollect

Uh ok. Is that all? What else is there to say

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The heraldic bird on modern Syrian coins, for example, is not an eagle. :) Syria uses the "Hawk of Quraish". And of course you are welcome to do some research and report your results here.

Christian

7. joecoincollect

Sorry, I just never came in a forum without something initially said. But there's nothing wrong with a very open-ended post

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Many "CoinTalkers" like to share parts of their collection, or show new acquisitions, by posting those pictures. Some may write a comprehensive "story" about a coin, others just put the image here. Eugene ("Siberian Man") usually picks a country, or a theme, and provides some info about each coin he shows. We all have different approaches, and as you wrote, none of them is right or wrong. :)

Christian

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That's an interesting point, because this hawk is found in similar form on ancient coins, long before any historical mention of the Quraish tribe, and certainly long before Islam. On ancient coins it is always described as an eagle. So the question is: was the eagle design appropriated as the Hawk of Quraish at a later time? Or has it always been a hawk, and do we collectors of ancients need to revise our descriptions?

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

No need for a revision, I think. In ancient Greek and Roman times it was usually the eagle that was used as a symbol of power (or even divinity). Now heraldic birds are often abstracted to a high degree. How do we know, for example, that this ...
    eagle.jpg
    ... is an eagle? Because the law says so. :) (This is a German eagle from a collector coin.) So if we know, from customs and traditions, or laws and constitutions, that the bird on coins from XYZ is an eagle, then it's an eagle.

Right, eagles, falcons and hawks have been used in the Arabic world too, long before the Hijra. But if in Egypt for example the official national emblem is described as the Eagle of Saladin, then I accept that of course. And if Syrian law says that their emblem is the Hawk of Quraish, well ...

One difference is that the eagle looks to the left (from the viewer's POV) while the hawk looks to the right. Well, that works for Egypt and Syria; unfortunately there are exceptions. ;)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Eagle_of_Saladin
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Hawk_of_Quraish

Christian

John Anthony and Collect89 like this.
  11. John Anthony

Thanks Christian. Very interesting!

Picked up some modern Syrian pounds...

modern pounds.JPG modern pounds 2.JPG

chrisild and chrsmat71 like this.
  12. John Anthony

Here is a coin minted only in 1921. After WWI, the San Remo Conference proposed that the League of Nations put Syria under a French mandate. Syrians fiercely resisted this arrangement for 15 years, until the French finally capitulated. A treaty of independence was signed in 1936, initiating the modern republic of Syria.

This coin is in pretty decent shape for the type - I'm thinking EF.

Half Piastre 1921.JPG

Syria, 1921
    1/2 Piastre, Cu-Ni, 21mm, 3.9g, 1.42mm, 6h; mintage: 4,000,000.
    Obv.: Value within roped wreath, flaked by oat sprigs, date at bottom.
    Rev.: Value within wreath; BANQUE DE SYRIE / 1/2 PIASTRE SYRIENNE / 1921.
    Edge: Smooth.
    KM 68, Numista rarity index 28.

Siberian Man and chrisild like this.
  13. John Anthony

I took a much better image of this coin today. That is all.

half piastre 1921a.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    Siberian Man and chrisild like this.
  14. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Thanks for sharing your Syrian coins.

I recently saw coin albums for Syria, Jordan and Iraq at a coin store near where I live.

I think the Syrian album was this one:
    syria_1920_1960_02.jpg syria_1920_1960_01.jpg
    You can find it at www.arabiancoins.com

John Anthony likes this.
  15. Siberian Man

1 lira 1950, silver .680, weight - 10 g., size - 27,8 mm, mintage - 7000000 pcs. Single release.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      88.5 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      90.4 KB
      Views:
    chrisild likes this.
  16. Siberian Man

Syria under the French mandate.
    1 piastre/ 1 Qirsh 1936, nickel-brass, weoght - 5 g., size - 24 mm, thickness - 1,4 mm, mintage - 1400000 pcs. Engravers: Henri-Auguste Patey & Lucien Georges Bazor (obverse) and Henri-Auguste Patey (reverse - face value). Such coins were released at 1929, 1933, 1935 and 1936.
    19.jpg 20.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted