Switzerland - 1917 B 5 Rappen

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, May 22, 2016.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

New pickup from this weekend. IMO, a bit of a weak strike but no apparent wear that I can see in hand. I actually think it's worth sending in this fall, as higher grade specimens seem to be hard to come by. Enjoy!

Switzerland - 1917 B 5 Rappen.jpg

Michael K, brg5658, mlov43 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JeffM-Houston

JeffM-Houston Active Member

I like the woody look of the toning on that one.

4. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

@stldanceartist Benjamin - I'm sending in a group to PCGS within the next two weeks if you want in on it. Let me know! (PM me).

5. stldanceartist

@jester3681 - Thank you, but I'm going to wait for a piggyback sometime in August when funds are a bit more robust. I think, by that time, my arms and legs will have grown back enough to merit sending a couple to PCGS. ;)

jester3681 likes this.
  6. jester3681

I'm just a glutton for punishment...

7. stldanceartist

What do you guys think about possible grade?
    (I realize that grading from photos isn't always reliable)

8. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

If similar examples I've seen in hand are an indication, your coin actually looks better than the pictures. I love how these coins tone. Can't really venture a guess on a grade, but I agree with your assessment of weakish strike vs. actual wear for the most part.
    I do see some touches of lost surface luster on some of the high points in the reverse wreath, but certainly worth the chance of submitting it. Even if it comes back in the high AU range you should have no problem making a profit on this semi-key date.

9. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I think it should be graded, though I'm not sure how much an AU is worth or unc. There's a bit of contact on cheek, perhaps at eyebrow/forehead. High points on 5 dis colored a bit like old abrasion. Not sure if this would merit AU though

10. jester3681

I think it's a solid mint state. Hard to tell without having the coin in hand, but 64+/-?

11. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

The answer is MS-64. Really.

Sweet example.

I really like Swiss 2 Franc coins, too.

12. stldanceartist

I'm kind of a fan of an MS64 grade, really. Would make it second-highest grade (I think there is one MS65 each at NGC/PCGS.

13. stldanceartist

Was thinking of doing a GTG with this one, as grades just posted on NGC - but @mlov43 and @jester3681 were already spot on - MS64. Now I'm thinking I need to send in the 1891 I just picked up, as it's noticeably better in hand than this 1917 was...

mlov43 and jester3681 like this.
  14. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Show us a photo of it... 5 Rappen, right?

15. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

"Rappen" is German, in French it is "centimes", in Italian "centesimi", and in Rumansh "raps". That also explains why they just use digits for the denominations from 5 to 20 ct/rp. :)

Christian

mlov43 likes this.
  16. stldanceartist

Ask and ye shall receive...

Here are a couple sets of photos with slightly different lighting positions:

Switzerland - 1891 5 Rappen 1.jpg

Switzerland - 1891 5 Rappen 2.jpg

I'll also tell you this: she SHINES in the light. Luster all over the place.

J.A.K. and mlov43 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted